Mcculloch sp125/101b kart saw build thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some times those old bars you have to watch .For example that hard nose NOS bar is .058 groove .I had quite a time finding the chain for it . At the time Chris Cicora was selling saws etc and he found some in chipper .It was only later I found some chisel and I later bought the last of .404 x .058 Baily's had in chisel skip .I really don't think on a big old saw like a 125 if it would make any difference what you use .I might also mention something like a 125 puts out enough oil to oil about anything you hang on it .One thing is for certain unless you are in the big timber country in the PNW you'll never use it enough to wear it out in a life time

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some times those old bars you have to watch .For example that hard nose NOS bar is .058 groove .I had quite a time finding the chain for it . At the time Chris Cicora was selling saws etc and he found some in chipper .It was only later I found some chisel and I later bought the last of .404 x .058 Baily's had in chisel skip .I really don't think on a big old saw like a 125 if it would make any difference what you use .I might also mention something like a 125 puts out enough oil to oil about anything you hang on it .One thing is for certain unless you are in the big timber country in the PNW you'll never use it enough to wear it out in a life time
You definitely read my mind!! Mine come with 28" hard nose bar and it is 0.58 gauge!. The chain is rusty a bit and it's still soaking in diesel, cutter has lots of life, marked 51, a OREGON chain. I see a 25 feet roll on ebay selling at gold price.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hm... Without the sparkplug cover, the cooling air will be reduced I guess? Well, I meed to get one myself :facepalm:

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hm... Without the sparkplug cover, the cooling air will be reduced I guess? Well, I meed to get one myself :facepalm:
It dose, would have to make a lot of cuts to be an issue, I bet if I pull the muffler it hasn’t even started to build up carbon, I need to get some kart ones bad

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You definitely read my mind!! Mine come with 28" hard nose bar and it is 0.58 gauge!. The chain is rusty a bit and it's still soaking in diesel, cutter has lots of life, marked 51, a OREGON chain. I see a 25 feet roll on ebay selling at gold price.
If you have the means every so often a shorter loop or several of .058 X .404 comes up on flea bay .I once bought a huge box of chains and in it were two 28" loops of the stuff in chipper sold by Partner .It also had a couple of loops of Homelite #12 which is half inch .Plus a zillion pre sets and tie straps of various manufactures .That's another option that could be considered . FWIW you don't really need a spinner to join a chain ,make a long loop from a couple of shorter ones .You can peen it closed just like the old timers did .I've done it with just a small ball peen hammer .However I did make a set of forming punches from grade 8 bolts that will form a rivet head as good as a spinner . BTW I do own a spinner . Just another one of those things if you keep it up long enough you'll have more stuff amassed than you can shake a stick at----if you can find it .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
9:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag