heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Certainly I typed in SCE910, must have been autocorrect...

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question in regards to Qurtro's clutch post. Do you guys know what the life expectancy was of a clutch and or clutch drum when guys used these saws as work tools? I know some of you have a lot of experience and maybe even know men who ran them for work.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scott, The clutches could last forever if you didn't slip them. But we all know that's inevitable.
@jacob j. has mention his dad used to replace them pretty regularly when he was felling trees
for a living. I have replaced a few on saws i got that had pretty worn out clutches and drums.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never seen a clutch wear out but I have seen them break segments for some reason The avatar saw Homelite 2100 S has a huge assembly with 6 segments 7/8" wide .It broke one for some reason but I was able to find one to replace it .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scott, The clutches could last forever if you didn't slip them. But we all know that's inevitable.
@jacob j. has mention his dad used to replace them pretty regularly when he was felling trees
for a living. I have replaced a few on saws i got that had pretty worn out clutches and drums.

I've got a whole box of the old man's worn out and broken clutches - I'll post a picture of it when I'm back home. There's probably 40-45 broken clutches in that box.

Dad ran a 60" or a 72" bar and chain on his falling saw (101B kartsaw) and a 42" or 50" bar and chain on his bucking saw (SP125) back in the day. He always had two
saws in the strip. He kept another powerhead or two in the pickup in case of a bad day in the brush.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a whole box of the old man's worn out and broken clutches - I'll post a picture of it when I'm back home. There's probably 40-45 broken clutches in that box.

Dad ran a 60" or a 72" bar and chain on his falling saw (101B kartsaw) and a 42" or 50" bar and chain on his bucking saw (SP125) back in the day. He always had two
saws in the strip. He kept another powerhead or two in the pickup in case of a bad day in the brush.
I always love your stories about your dad!

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had some issues with the decomp sealing, been fighting it for a couple days, the head was really porous , lots of air pockets!! Had to go husky, and some magic to get it! Lol7908BC20-32AF-4343-9946-CE1B9CDF9EEE.jpeg

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had some issues with the decomp sealing, been fighting it for a couple days, the head was really porous , lots of air pockets!! Had to go husky, and some magic to get it! LolView attachment 322259

I've got a couple heads here I've had trouble getting to seal up so I had to buy extras. I think the Husky decomp will work good. I've been looking at those decomps they make for the late model Harley EVS motors - They have a long pull button.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gerry B in one of his books tells of west coast faller that ran a kart engine saw .He said he'd never seen a saw that could throw a chain that far or ruin so many drivers on a derail .I can't imagine tossing a chain on a 60" bar ,scares me .

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gerry B in one of his books tells of west coast faller that ran a kart engine saw .He said he'd never seen a saw that could throw a chain that far or ruin so many drivers on a derail .I can't imagine tossing a chain on a 60" bar ,scares me .
It should! That's why whippy long bars on high speed saws, or any saw for that matter, should be avoided. ESPECIALLY the 59" stihl bar on some saws.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know anything about it because I've never seen it or the big coast redwoods .However from what Gerry B said the guys name was Mike Davis .In the book the bar looked to be a 60" open roller on that kart engine saw.
Assuming it's a wide bar like the 48" hard nose Mac branded on my avatar saw it's not whippy .That pot licker is heavy though I'll say that .

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It should! That's why whippy long bars on high speed saws, or any saw for that matter, should be avoided. ESPECIALLY the 59" stihl bar on some saws.
I've been looking at some big bars, any recommendations?