Mcculloch sp125/101b kart saw build thread

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys! I was surprised at the rpm bump and torque bump with the wb and v4 reeds, had run the saw with sdc and the difference is notable! Was running a puck muffler without baffle, just so people know. Am really wanting to throw this on a a stock 125 to see what happens!

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet that set up would wake up a stock 125 considerably. The intake system
is Mccullochs down fall. Shape curve in the intake and the 2 peddle flat reed
don't do the 125's and 797's any justice. If Mcculloch used the same system as
Homelites 2100's I think it would have made a much more powerful saw.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forget who had a 2100 Homey parts for sale on one of the forums. maybe "klick " .At any rate he had the reeds and cage for sale cheap .I thought that would be the hot set up for a hot rod 125 Mac or kart engine hottie .
Whatever happened to him I have no idea ,I heard bad health .I talked a couple times with him on the phone and he had his head wrapped around ceramic bearings .Which I'm neither aye or nay .

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I totally agree the homelite setup is better than stock 125. I wish I could find a dirt bike cage the was a little wider and had square petal end instead of the round, I think the super v reeds are better then the stock kart Mac. Would love to be able to use a banshee vforce 4 cage, they flow more then enough for 50hp per cage, and are compact. Would be cool on an open top saw, I don’t think I can fit much more reed and keep the air box.
I have been thinking about the current setup, I think my current reeds protruding a little into the crankcase is acting a like a bit of a stuffer, make me wonder what a kart stuffer would do in this saw

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad ran kart stuffers in his saws - I'll post some pictures tonight. They help with acceleration and top end quite a bit.
Cool Jacob! I agree with you, may have to try one! For science! Have heard they hurt torque, but don’t have any actual experience

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’f u gain power u can’t lose torque, that’s not possible. The only thing that can happen is ur torque curve will change

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool Jacob! I agree with you, may have to try one! For science! Have heard they hurt torque, but don’t have any actual experience

Do you have one there? If not, I have a whole box of extras and can definitely send one for science.

I’f u gain power u can’t lose torque, that’s not possible. The only thing that can happen is ur torque curve will change

That's what I think happens - users in my dad's era wanted more chain speed as they got into smaller wood - when the big Macs first came on
the scene, west coast fallers were predominately in large (50" +) wood. Over time, the wood got smaller. They wanted to run the same equipment
but have it rev up faster and have the torque band peak at a higher RPM.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes you are correct, I think the problem more comes with a stock 125, is moving the power up where it already has trouble breathing, you’re actually losing power and hurting torque by moving the torque curve up, at least in my thinking, And it really was me stating that incorrectly, not torque, more down low grunt.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have one there? If not, I have a whole box of extras and can definitely send one for science.

That's what I think happens - users in my dad's era wanted more chain speed as they got into smaller wood - when the big Macs first came on
the scene, west coast fallers were predominately in large (50" +) wood. Over time, the wood got smaller. They wanted to run the same equipment
but have it rev up faster and have the torque band peak at a higher RPM.
Yes I have a stock 101 stuffer, I’m going to have to get it machined down, not sure if I’m going to have to add a little epoxy to be able to seal up where the pulse pump port is for the Oiler. Was looking at the gem ones too, They are heavy being solid, but at least they’re already flat and just have to drill the manual Euler hole and pulse port hole

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gerry B . the guy pictured a 100 foot up taking the top out of a red wood on a Stihl poster using an 090 with a 7 foot Cannon bar tells a story .One of his buds ran a 101 long after they fell out of popularity .He said he could cut 60 inches of red wood in about 60 seconds .Also throw a chain farther than any saw he'd ever seen and tear up more drive links on a derail .My word you'd have to wear a suit of chain mail to run that thing ..Can you imagine getting bit by a 72" loop of saw chain .It would take two cats to sew you up if you didn't bleed out .
I'll look it up in the book .If the guy is still among the living he'd be as old as I am by now .Some of you might know him .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dug out the book .That guys name is Mike Davis mentioned above with the kart engine 125 Mac back in the 80's .Some time around 1983-4 some place in California .I'm not familiar but understand the big coast redwoods only grow in a couple of counties .
I've never been in the PNW,would like to see it at least once .I've seen huge oaks but nothing like those best west coasters .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dug out the book .That guys name is Mike Davis mentioned above with the kart engine 125 Mac back in the 80's .Some time around 1983-4 some place in California .I'm not familiar but understand the big coast redwoods only grow in a couple of counties .
I've never been in the PNW,would like to see it at least once .I've seen huge oaks but nothing like those best west coasters .

Dustin Davis posted a bunch of old falling pictures of his Dad on Facebook - he had some awesome snaps of his dad. There was one where Mike was bucking about a seven-foot log and had
to get on both sides of it.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool stories and good history, the coastal redwoods are something you should visit! It’s Amazing, and there is tons of them, 12’ trees are everywhere! The avenue of the giants is a great little drive. The high Sierra’s are the home of sequoia’s even larger, but more inland, I have visited the general Sherman tree, the largest tree, and Yosemite, has a fair amount in the area 86842AEF-EDF7-4913-9E0C-BCFFC7534DD9.jpegA645F73F-9354-44C8-9EE4-20BE8E444E8B.jpeg 3D6B71CD-2C51-4CBB-8878-C913934B532F.jpeg75ECCC92-E3D0-4D6F-94B9-4B437EE90FB9.jpeg

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dustin Davis posted a bunch of old falling pictures of his Dad on Facebook - he had some awesome snaps of his dad. There was one where Mike was bucking about a seven-foot log and had
to get on both sides of it.
I wish we still had the pics, when crown zellerback was selling out here they cut a bunch of old growth, and we took pics of me at around 8 on the buck cut midway at around 6’, I remember it! I also know where a small patch of 9’-11’ hemlock is, its off the beaten path but not bad. Out near the cape mears lighthouse is an 18’ spruce, it’s now the largest In Oregon

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish we still had the pics, when crown zellerback was selling out here they cut a bunch of old growth, and we took pics of me at around 8 on the buck cut midway at around 6’, I remember it! I also know where a small patch of 9’-11’ hemlock is, its off the beaten path but not bad. Out near the cape mears lighthouse is an 18’ spruce, it’s now the largest In Oregon

Have you been to Valley of the Giants up above Siletz? An old Forest Service co-worker of mine has a secret squirrel route into it. He said there's 10-12' diameter trees all over in there, some 15's too.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you been to Valley of the Giants up above Siletz? An old Forest Service co-worker of mine has a secret squirrel route into it. He said there's 10-12' diameter trees all over in there, some 15's too.
No I haven’t, but it’s not far! Going to have to get the info from you