Mastermind Meets The MS500i

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if they just wanted to be able to lay claim to building the first fuel injected saw.

That is what I thought as well! I do not think that the saw would run much worse with a normal carburetor setup. I call it a solid feasibility study :D

Just a little update from the 500i i've ported (3rd. fully ported 500i, if that point is important for someone :crazylick:) in may 19 for a professional customer and friend of mine, the 500i was his set up for a "one-saw-plan" with the low weight specs. But the point that the saw sucks fuel like crazy (he also had a dealer for recalibrating after porting) shattered that plan! After 6 months of everyday use and easily 2.6 gallons a day with the 500i he switched back to his 50cc/70cc/90cc setup. Here in germany you have to use expensive pre-mixed alcylate fuel by law for commercial and professional use (~17$ per gallon), so that makes up to 40$ on fuel for the saw allone per day! Now he runs a 572xp, of course it's heavier and not as powerful as the 500i but it needs nearly half as much fuel per day for about the same amount of work done! Even a 661 needs less fuel with a normal carb.

He keeps the 500i, it's a rock solid saw so far, even with 50:1 pre-mix. The saw runs flawless, no issues and up to 600 hours on it now. But it's not that super perfect the hype around it would make you believe, it has some flaws with the filter and the high fuel consumption (especially with our high fuel prices in germany)

I'm still curious how the development will continue with injection.

And thanks for this awesome thread! I know the work behind it

Last edited:

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It definitely wood be my daily driver saw if it didn't burn so much fuel. I just can't pack 2 - 2.5 gallons a day not economical. After porting it adjusted just fine responded well but it is just so dang thirsty if you are stumping 20 inch trees all day

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What fuel ratio are you guys running on these ported 500's?
Hopefully there running at least 40:1 but you would think being fuel injected you could get away with 50:1 I think if you go with to much oil in the mix it might run into problems flowing through the injector but that's what my less than smart brain is thinking.

LowVolt

TIH2HO
Local time
2:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The answer to that question should depend on what oil they are using Rory.

But......rarely does. LOL

Yeah not trying to turn this into an oil thread. Lol. I run all my equipment, ported saws and other 2 strokes on 32:1 with Amsoil Saber. With a stock 500i now in the stable I think I better mix up some 50:1.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah not trying to turn this into an oil thread. Lol. I run all my equipment, ported saws and other 2 strokes on 32:1 with Amsoil Saber. With a stock 500i now in the stable I think I better mix up some 50:1.

I'm running 40:1 Amsoil Dominator.