11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
whatever you do dont buy the one that has breaker and spinner in one unit
they suck
i have oregon breaker and spinner
gave away the junk thing that was a all in one
You just got demoted from square grinder guy to chain breaker/spinner guy for next year

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol ill bring mine
i have holes drilled in bench and use bolts with wing nuts so i can switch them as needed or put them out of the way when not in use
I’s just kidding. I knew it wouldn’t get used much so I figured I’d save the $100. The way it’s configured just sucks.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’s just kidding. I knew it wouldn’t get used much so I figured I’d save the $100. The way it’s configured just sucks.
doesnt matter the orientation of them its awkward for one or the other processes

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That Tecomec set is the one I have been recommending. Sometimes, that seller also has them in Archer colors for about the same price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Archer-Cha...090918?hash=item59444e98a6:g:XskAAOSwQrJbZfwt

A key advantage is the compatibility with the Oregon products, which means that *parts are available*. Replacement parts for many of the 'no-brand', all-in-one spinner / breakers may be impossible to find. Some people break the punches, lose parts, etc. Then, their 'cheaper' product suddenly becomes expensive.

I have the Bailey's set, which used to go on sale periodically for the same price. They sell replacement parts too.

Philbert

Last edited:

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the blue one from harbor freight. The hammer/punch is too brittle and chips the tip easy. I ended up finding a spinner only and just use a 2” rol-loc sanding disk on a die grinder and a small punch to separate the chain. Works just fine.

https://www.harvesterbars.com/collections/accessories/products/gb-chain-spinner-404-3-4
Just wish they made this in a smaller size. Trying to hold the loop flat and keep it lined up under the punch and work the handle kinda is a three handed job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have that one too. It was dirt cheap when I bought it. The guy behind the counter looked at me and asked “What does that do”? Lol

The punch broke almost right away, the spinner anvil for 3/8” made odd little rivet heads, and the threads in the handle are real sloppy. Those were the negatives I noticed.

The Oregon spinner anvil fits just fine, and it’s been what I’ve used for a while in it now. When the punch broke, I ordered up an Oregon, hoping it would fit, since the spinner anvil fit fine. It fits, but is too long. That was an easy fix, though, just cut it down. All in all, not a great unit, but with those two fixes it does do what it’s intended to. Had I known what I know now, I would have bought the Tecomec set instead, but this will last me a while now. I don’t do that many chains.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can find a set of the old Herr breaker/spinners, they're about the best made for chains up to .404" pitch. I found my set at a garage sale
for $20, and they use the same punch, anvil, and take-up handle as the older Oregon breaker/spinners. This is what the breaker looks like - you
could probably find one a lot cheaper on Craigslist:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chain-Breaker-HERR-Hand-Press-0905-With-50-Die-Included/254741166368

I've had my set since 1996 and have made or repaired hundreds of chains with it. I was even doing chains for a while for one of the dealerships
when their main technician was down with pneumonia. They would just email me their lists and I would deliver the chains the next morning.

Parts are still available for them through Oregon.