looking for Breaker/Spinner advice

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a old Stihl breaker at a pawn shop for $15! Ordered a couple punches from my dealer and it works great! Btw...got a bunch of punches for it so if anyone needs any hit me up. Different size than the Oregon/Tecomec.
86d6989f1923f57f1215e75eb2137707.jpg

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been using these two for 9 years have spun up in excess of 40 rolls .
went through a few punches until I found one that was treated properly no trouble since think the punches on this style are hit and miss.

View attachment 263519
That looks very much like the Oregon/Tecomec ones. What punches did you find are the best? Link?

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
8:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks very much like the Oregon/Tecomec ones. What punches did you find are the best? Link?
If I remember correctly I just bought half a dozen of the supplier I got this off cannot for the life of me remember who that was and you're right they are the same as the Oregon and the other mod but yeah I just busted couple of punches until I came across one that has held up I still have 2 in my parts cupboard.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy Batman the Herr looks good, makes my Tecomec look flimsy.

The Herr stuff is very heavy duty - I'll bet this set lasts me the rest of my life and probably the next guy's as well.

Looks like the Herr and Stihl could have come out of the same casting factory!

Herr did make the breakers and spinners for Stihl for a time. They're not as common here as Stihl largely only sold those in Europe and Asia.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like all of those oregon/tecomec "They Live" safety glasses spinner/breakers are all made in china. Very similar to the woodland pro one I had.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Herr stuff is very heavy duty - I'll bet this set lasts me the rest of my life and probably the next guy's as well.

Herr did make the breakers and spinners for Stihl for a time. They're not as common here as Stihl largely only sold those in Europe and Asia.
JJ any idea if the Stihl replacement parts will fit the "herr" breaker ?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like all of those oregon/tecomec . . . spinner/breakers are all made in china.

My Oregon Spinner and Breaker both say made in Italy

My Tecomec also said made in Italy!

Older ones were made in Italy. Moved to China a few years back.

My Woodland PRO set was also sold under the ‘Carlton’ brand, as I understand. I bought it after visiting Bailey’s store, and seeing that was what they used used in their shop for customer orders.

Philbert

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
nope but id take a strong look at the Ebay one JJ linked to if i knew parts were readily available

I don't think the parts that Stihl has had in their special tools catalog for the last few years are the same parts that are compatible with the old Herr breakers and spinners,
but because Oregon sold those under their brand, they're still having parts made for them. So I would say parts availability would probably be about another 10 years or so.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think the parts that Stihl has had in their special tools catalog for the last few years are the same parts that are compatible with the old Herr breakers and spinners,
but because Oregon sold those under their brand, they're still having parts made for them. So I would say parts availability would probably be about another 10 years or so.
If anyone has that breaker take a pick of the punch and measure it and ill do the same with the Stihl ones.