Looking for a chainsaw mill

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's tons of used chainsaw mills available. Post a wanted ad. Guys buy them and find out how difficult it is to make lumber with them and they hang up in the garage/barn/shed until they read your ad seeking one.

I have a Granberg Alaskan. It has a 24" capacity. Have I used it? yes. Often? no. Their place in my opinion is making specialty items like slabs for mantles, big beams, cribbing planks, etc. It's a very slow, tedious and fairly expensive way to slab wood. A band mill is way mo better but expensive. We had a GTG here several years ago and made a cant for some chainsaw racing. It works well for that too. Keep in mind you'll need a bar at least 4" longer than the wood width you're going to mill to allow for mounting.
It would be easy to make one if you had one there to copy, there's not much to them.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HLS is selling the 36" for under $100, for that price it is not worth making unless you already have the materials.

A large strong saw and square file chain will keep the speed reasonable (for a turtle).

The advantage is you can take it to where your log is, and remove the boards w/o heavy equipment.

If you don't have heavy equipment, or if the log is not accessible, it works.

I have milled so many Oak and Hickory boards, I now need to find the time to use them all.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep an eye on Craigslist. I got one a couple months ago for $75. It an Alaskan MK III 36" mill. Used it on a Ash log and was very pleased with the results.
b8eee0890529c28d04ba7e6e0fcb410e.jpg
12d3c7db652b604ef080780a57913ea1.jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He is way overpriced on the Granberg III. Can get a new model IV for cheaper.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had Hutzl 36" one. Broke the cast piece where the rod attaches, they refunded some of the money. More than likely user error. . The Grandberg parts fit it and was milling red and white oak with it.
Are the Grandberg rails and the Hutzl rails the same? My uncle wants to go larger than 36" but the rails are so damn expensive from Grandberg. Thought maybe he could save some coin by buying the large rails from Hutzl and swap the rest of his Grandberg mill on to it.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One
But I do not buy all these crap chinese parts for the saws I do have... Why not spend a few bucks to help out an American when you can?
I agree. Sometimes money doesn't allow it. I just don't know how many could justify spending 3 times more for trying a "whim".