Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl bar nuts (aftermarket) are available for about 30 cents a piece if you buy 100 off eBay. To create some goodwill, if someone came in and was only seeking one of those, I'd just give them one. Little kindnesses like that carry a lot of weight. They'll remember.

ABSOLUTELY! I'm pretty fed up with getting charged $1.99 for those things at the stihl dealer. Bob has helped me out a couple times when I couldn't get the answer I needed from one of the very few husky dealers within 40 miles of here. If we had a Husky dealer like him here I'd drop my Stihls in a heartbeat. I think the plan of keeping some handy parts around to get a saw back up and running that day will make a lot of Stihl guys feel the same way. Give them a bar nut, sell them a chain for half the price of a Stihl chain, tell them about saws with heated handles and I think you'll create some new Husky owners.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone know how Madsen's out in Washington is able to deal both? I think I've heard of others doing the same, but I'm not positive.

I have been to many shops that sell both. Some with ECHO too.

Philbert

My closest Husky Dealer sells both and when still told he need to choose one or the other he told the Stihl rep to back up to the door and load up.
Now this is the story I was told but hey he has both still and sells alot of stuff.

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
9:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, sounds like I ought to add some 62's to the list, so thank you. Like I said from the get go, I'm not that familiar with the Stihl stuff. Have to feel our way through it and we'll make adjustments as we go. But I won't be going back to spinning chains I can assure you. :)
Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They would make him give up husky... just ask joe @Onan18

Anyone know how Madsen's out in Washington is able to deal both? I think I've heard of others doing the same, but I'm not positive.

I have been to many shops that sell both. Some with ECHO too.

Philbert

Older dealers that had Stihl before they instituted the policy of Stihl exclusive are grandfathered in. All new dealers have to agree to be Stihl exclusive or they will not allow you to become a dealer. A rep from Stihl came by a few years ago, wanted to set us up with Stihl. We listened to his pitch and then he said we would have to drop all of our other lines of handheld (Husqvarna, RedMax, Echo, and Shindaiwa). I asked him how much we could expect to sell with Stihl a year and he said $80K, we do $350K a year now. I showed him the door.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But Bob already said he’s trying to stay simple. But help out the locals. And he will probably earn some customers by doing so. I think he’s doing it right.

That's exactly it. Just the basic stuff. And we're primarily talking the accessories that go over the counter. There's no need for us to look at repair parts cause we aren't going to take them in for repair anyway. We don't take in any hand held product besides Husky and Red Max, plus that other "RED" brand that recently met it's demise. We're running full throttle staying on top of what we have. Like I was saying, we don't need more to do. And we will be easing our way into this as well. Not like we have to be all up and running by Monday morning.

Not looking to become a quasi-Stihl dealer, or even a real one for that matter. There's no way I would consider adding Stihl, or any other hand held line. Truthfully, there isn't an empty wall to put it on. And to honest, I have to admit there isn't any room in my DNA for another brand either.

Stihl would be a VERY significant investment, and all their freaking rules...……..gotta do this, can't do that. We don't respond too well to people telling us what to do. Don't think we'd mesh with those folks too well. LOL

But the contrast between how good we are with Husky, and how inexperienced we'd be with Stihl would be dramatic.

Husky: 25 years experience, tons of parts in stock; many of them parts you can't even get from Husky or Jonsered anymore. Almost never can't complete a job on it's first trip to the bench cause we don't have the parts. We know most of those little variations/changes that most saws go through during their model runs. We know the old saws as much as the new ones. We know most of the service bulletins over the years. Most of this is in our heads.

Stihl: Zero experience. Really don't know squat about them. Without that knowledge base, you don't even know the right questions to ask when someone needs a part. No parts in stock. Nearly every unit would have to be boxed up to order parts. And it's not like I'm going to be in business for another 20 years to become proficient in Stihl either. :)

How fair is that to the customers to have 2 different levels of service? Excellent service on Husky, and lame service on Stihl. At $80 an hour? Husky customers: "Those guys are great." Stihl customers: "Those guys are clueless." After 25 years, what's the point of going down that road?

So, we have given a lot of thought to this. And much of our perspective is where we are in life, as well as having the business doing just fine where it is. We're just gonna keep it on "cruise control".

But again, I sincerely do appreciate you guys taking the time to bring me up to speed on the basics. Now I'm a little less clueless than I was a week ago. :)

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Older dealers that had Stihl before they instituted the policy of Stihl exclusive are grandfathered in. All new dealers have to agree to be Stihl exclusive or they will not allow you to become a dealer. A rep from Stihl came by a few years ago, wanted to set us up with Stihl. We listened to his pitch and then he said we would have to drop all of our other lines of handheld (Husqvarna, RedMax, Echo, and Shindaiwa). I asked him how much we could expect to sell with Stihl a year and he said $80K, we do $350K a year now. I showed him the door.

That conversation would last about 5 seconds with me. :)

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's exactly it. Just the basic stuff. And we're primarily talking the accessories that go over the counter. There's no need for us to look at repair parts cause we aren't going to take them in for repair anyway. We don't take in any hand held product besides Husky and Red Max, plus that other "RED" brand that recently met it's demise. We're running full throttle staying on top of what we have. Like I was saying, we don't need more to do. And we will be easing our way into this as well. Not like we have to be all up and running by Monday morning.

Not looking to become a quasi-Stihl dealer, or even a real one for that matter. There's no way I would consider adding Stihl, or any other hand held line. Truthfully, there isn't an empty wall to put it on. And to honest, I have to admit there isn't any room in my DNA for another brand either.

Stihl would be a VERY significant investment, and all their freaking rules...……..gotta do this, can't do that. We don't respond too well to people telling us what to do. Don't think we'd mesh with those folks too well. LOL

But the contrast between how good we are with Husky, and how inexperienced we'd be with Stihl would be dramatic.

Husky: 25 years experience, tons of parts in stock; many of them parts you can't even get from Husky or Jonsered anymore. Almost never can't complete a job on it's first trip to the bench cause we don't have the parts. We know most of those little variations/changes that most saws go through during their model runs. We know the old saws as much as the new ones. We know most of the service bulletins over the years. Most of this is in our heads.

Stihl: Zero experience. Really don't know squat about them. Without that knowledge base, you don't even know the right questions to ask when someone needs a part. No parts in stock. Nearly every unit would have to be boxed up to order parts. And it's not like I'm going to be in business for another 20 years to become proficient in Stihl either. :)

How fair is that to the customers to have 2 different levels of service? Excellent service on Husky, and lame service on Stihl. At $80 an hour? Husky customers: "Those guys are great." Stihl customers: "Those guys are clueless." After 25 years, what's the point of going down that road?

So, we have given a lot of thought to this. And much of our perspective is where we are in life, as well as having the business doing just fine where it is. We're just gonna keep it on "cruise control".

But again, I sincerely do appreciate you guys taking the time to bring me up to speed on the basics. Now I'm a little less clueless than I was a week ago. :)

And another point to is why did that Stihl location really close? I mean if they are falling out of favor I would not want to stock to many things anyways.

Last edited: