Local Stihl dealer closing

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
7:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow Mark, that is really helpful. Looks like I've got half the chain loops already.

On the trimmer heads, I'm really wondering what arbor size they are running. If the straight shaft models are mostly 10mm x 1.25 LHT then the way I'd go there is to just offer the Husky or Red Max heads and keep it simple. I can order the T35 heads with additional arbors to fit just about everything, so that's the way I'll go if needed.

I would guess that you are pretty well set up for the basics. That sounds about right on the trimmer heads but don’t quote me. I assume theirs are male on the trimmer and female on the head right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A collective thanks to you guys for filling in the blanks here! Turned something I thought was going to be complicated into something nice and simple, which is what we are looking for. I'm taking a minimalist approach and just want to be able to offer "something that works" as opposed to a selection of different items.

Bars and Chain: Figure I only have to add a handful of loops to what I already have, and I'll need more 72DL and 84DL in .050 cause most of what we sell is .058. Add a few Oregon bars and we're good to go there.

Husky T35 head can cover the straight shafts. I really like that head, and we of course have the parts for them. We do buy from both Rotary and Stens, so we can special order different heads if needed. Spark plugs and oil are already covered with what we have. And I'll add some of the filters and caps that you guys have suggested.

So, as far as over-the-counter consumables go it'll be pretty easy to cover the basics. I don't even need to think about repair parts, cause we aren't going to be working on this stuff ourselves. If folks need more than those basics, or they need something worked on, they'll have to drive the 1/2 hour or whatever to the other Stihl dealers in the area. But we should be able to keep a lot of the locals up and running with what we've been talking about here. :)

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
images (8).jpeg
A collective thanks to you guys for filling in the blanks here! Turned something I thought was going to be complicated into something nice and simple, which is what we are looking for. I'm taking a minimalist approach and just want to be able to offer "something that works" as opposed to a selection of different items.

Bars and Chain: Figure I only have to add a handful of loops to what I already have, and I'll need more 72DL and 84DL in .050 cause most of what we sell is .058. Add a few Oregon bars and we're good to go there.

Husky T35 head can cover the straight shafts. I really like that head, and we of course have the parts for them. We do buy from both Rotary and Stens, so we can special order different heads if needed. Spark plugs and oil are already covered with what we have. And I'll add some of the filters and caps that you guys have suggested.

So, as far as over-the-counter consumables go it'll be pretty easy to cover the basics. I don't even need to think about repair parts, cause we aren't going to be working on this stuff ourselves. If folks need more than those basics, or they need something worked on, they'll have to drive the 1/2 hour or whatever to the other Stihl dealers in the area. But we should be able to keep a lot of the locals up and running with what we've been talking about here. :)

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just having figured some of this out before they walk in the door will put a lot of customers at ease. I know my dealer usually has no idea about the parts I ask for. I usually get a "that's not available" and then we look up the part number I brought with me and he orders the part.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actual Stihl 290 fuel lines can be adapted to alot of saws. You can fit husky filters on them. Have some pull handles to convert elastostart failure s to get them going. The Stihl spline sprockets or Oregon kits to swap the drum to std spline.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think about a roll of .325/.063 chain. A lot of popular STIHL saws run this (MS250 and MS 260 series).

Philbert

Just going to go with the 3 most popular .325's; 67/74/81, and accept that we aren't going to have every size in stock.

Plus, we haven't spun a chain in over 15 years. Gave the breaker/spinner away ages ago. 95% of what we've needed is stocked in loops, and it never made sense to me to stock reel chain for the occasional odd loop. Those can be ordered a day away from several sources.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . we haven't spun a chain in over 15 years. Gave the breaker/spinner away ages ago.
!!!! Might be time to re-invest!

MS250 series is 62Dl in 16" bar - pretty popular around here.

Philbert

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert

Ya I'd keep 62 and 68 driver loops around, 250s are awful popular in certain places..idk if that applies here...

Last edited:

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert

Well, sounds like I ought to add some 62's to the list, so thank you. Like I said from the get go, I'm not that familiar with the Stihl stuff. Have to feel our way through it and we'll make adjustments as we go. But I won't be going back to spinning chains I can assure you. :)

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, sounds like I ought to add some 62's to the list, so thank you. Like I said from the get go, I'm not that familiar with the Stihl stuff. Have to feel our way through it and we'll make adjustments as we go. But I won't be going back to spinning chains I can assure you. :)
Why not make them chains, they are willing to pay double for parts. Why not chains?

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl bar nuts (aftermarket) are available for about 30 cents a piece if you buy 100 off eBay. To create some goodwill, if someone came in and was only seeking one of those, I'd just give them one. Little kindnesses like that carry a lot of weight. They'll remember.