High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Let’s Talk 404

el33t

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This article from 1981 is misinformation. And this story about watching the bug is just ridiculous and repeated over and over by Blount/Oregon/whatever. Even Cox himself was not so brazen:

My first designs weren't working the way I thought they should. Knowing that nature usually figures things out better than man, I spent several months looking for nature's answer to the problem. I found it in the larva of the timber beetle.
The larva has two cutters, but it alternates them. While one is cutting, the other acts as a depth gauge.

Actually, I'd already figured out the alternating part and the depth gauge principle. It was the curvature of the cutters that the larva taught me.
That's what made my chain cut better, last longer, file easier, and require less maintenance.

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ship the book(s), well packed, to someone of trust and knowledge in scanning.
Have that person scan it best they can, save in PDF form, ship the book(s) back to You and upload the PDF(s) here.

Not damaging the book would have to be the cardinal rule obviously.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
9:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ship the book(s), well packed, to someone of trust and knowledge in scanning.
Have that person scan it best they can, save in PDF form, ship the book(s) back to You and upload the PDF(s) here.

Not damaging the book would have to be the cardinal rule obviously.
I did that before and unfortunately never got my originals back.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started a thread in the manual section and posted up some of the stuff I have. Let me know if you guys can access the files, some are large so I need to link them off a google drive.
I commented in the thread.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, that sucks! :(

Exactly why I wrote "someone of trust".

About 25 years ago I traded a saw and $300 for a 16" drum chipper. It was not a Fitchburg but with the stack of manuals the man gave me was a manual to an old Fitchburg chipper. Shortly after getting it I saw on another site where I gentlemen was struggling getting the bed knife set on his Fitchburg. I made him a photocopy and mailed it to him. He mailed me back a very nice letter along with a picture of his fishing boat. He said he live on Cape Cod and if I ever made it to the coast to ring him and we would go fishing. He also mailed some Massachusetts lottery tickets. Hell of a good guy. Well over the years I mailed out dozens of copies of that manual. Now the original is gone and I still get emails from folks asking for a copy. I am betting if you "google" Fitchburg chipper manual" it will lead to me somehow. :D

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About 25 years ago I traded a saw and $300 for a 16" drum chipper. It was not a Fitchburg but with the stack of manuals the man gave me was a manual to an old Fitchburg chipper. Shortly after getting it I saw on another site where I gentlemen was struggling getting the bed knife set on his Fitchburg. I made him a photocopy and mailed it to him. He mailed me back a very nice letter along with a picture of his fishing boat. He said he live on Cape Cod and if I ever made it to the coast to ring him and we would go fishing. He also mailed some Massachusetts lottery tickets. Hell of a good guy. Well over the years I mailed out dozens of copies of that manual. Now the original is gone and I still get emails from folks asking for a copy. I am betting if you "google" Fitchburg chipper manual" it will lead to me somehow. :D
And You sid not make a copy for Yourself as a backup? :(

Squish9

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Searching for things I just stumbled across some info that Stihl is still selling 46RCXK chain. A 404 chipper, ripping chain Link here

So the next question is, does anybody live in a country where this is available? Searching around is only finding me results in Africa and Italy.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Searching for things I just stumbled across some info that Stihl is still selling 46RCXK chain. A 404 chipper, ripping chain Link here

So the next question is, does anybody live in a country where this is available? Searching around is only finding me results in Africa and Italy.
Ask @Wilhelm he is not in Italy but he may have friends there. He is just a boat ride across the Adriatic Sea.

Last edited:

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could scan them for you. I'm not sure if I can make a PDF, I think so, but at least I can make 1200dpi JPEGs (like 50 megapixels)
How many hundreds of pounds?

Years ago I offered multiple internet savvy students in the web design program a good sum of cash to take my Homelite IPL's and catalog them into a searchable database. None of them took me up on my offer.