Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you ever tried getting behind a fan and crawling at them? If I could see them and not get them to come I'd give it a try. I've got a special umbrella for it but haven't gotten to use it yet.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a pretty bird. I seem to have no problem killing big birds with long beards but always seem to get ones with shorter spurs.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone ever try hunting turkeys without decoys? I've read that not using decoys can make the turkeys come closer looking for the source of the call, especially if they are wary of decoys.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone ever try hunting turkeys without decoys? I've read that not using decoys can make the turkeys come closer looking for the source of the call, especially if they are wary of decoys.
I rarely use decoys I prefer to travel light and put in a lot of miles on foot. There's always situations where a decoy can be helpful but they can also screw things up.

I never use them in the woods, on field edges they can work well. All depends on how the birds are acting.

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local to home!
fa5ae8da56432e4cdbdb29552ec3be58.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very early memory here. Grandfather took me on opening day for spring turkey in SW Virginia. I think it was Big Walker Mountain. Before we left his truck he instructed me to not say even a single word while he called birds. Once in the woods he quickly connected with a Tom on the next ridge over. He called and the Tom would answer, always getting a little closer. Closer and closer (we could see him) and then it stopped and we lost sight of him. PaPa kept calling right up to 12:00 noon. That’s when Spring gobbler season ends, at 12:00 noon. He pointed at his watch and I knew that meant it was over. When I stood up to stretch the bird exploded behind us and flew away. Scared the heck out of me. My PaPa laughed his butt off. He had been watching us for over an hour. What a bird.
I see them all the time now, just driving around.
Last week I saw a beautiful Tom strttin his stuff for the ladies present. Very pretty.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any good Birds this last season did you all have a good one