It's MS461 Time In Tennessee

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, thanks for sharing. Just spoke to my wife and she says she takes D every day.

Sometimes, when I work hard on the bike, my legs cramp at night, despite my attempts to properly hydrate.

I'll have to consider this as a possibility.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had a lifetime of pain. Several doctors told me I had arthritis(even back when I was in my 20's). Which, of course, I knew because I did a lot of stupid things long before I made it to my 20's. But that didn't explain the muscle pain. After 30 years of searching for an answer, one doc who did a blood test on me found me to be hugely vitamin D deficient. We did another test to be sure, cause he didn't believe how low it was, and I had even less the second time. Like more than 10X less than your average person normally tests for. He said it must be genetic, and I would have to deal with a chronic condition. And basically, I had a version of Rickets. Your body doesn't like to absorb or even make Vit D really unless you sun bathe. So most folks are a bit low. I had to do massive doses to build up a reservoir, and then do large doses every freakin day to keep it up when you have the deficiency I do. I started doing it over the last two years and it has made a huge difference. I was sceptical at first, and it doesn't make up for me being an idiot and mistreating my body for years, but it goes a long, long ways to making me not want to kill myself any more. My muscles heal much faster now and hurt much less. I can stand upright now without pain. I stopped having cramps, especially the ones that woke me up in the night. Sometimes they would literally be crippling if I worked too hard. Those have gone. My fingers work again, and have actually thinned a lot from less inflammation, and even my eyesight is a bit better. And the doc says due to less over-all inflammation, it seems my blood pressure also dropped a bit(which is mainly what helped my eyesight he says). I feel so much younger and better. It's a lot like when I took steroids - which some docs have prescribed over the years, and I gotta say - great stuff, except it made me purdy angry and aggro at times. If only one of those docs had caught this 30 years ago - my life would have been completely different. I mean, a life time of anti inflammatories, steroids, and pain killers could have been avoided. And then there's me being moody and ruining so many relationships with so many lovely women and people. Just... ugh. Sorry about the rant. It's morning and the coffee has kicked in.
right.gif

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So.....finishing up the deburring of these mufflers....then reassembling 9 saws.

Gotta tweak the carbs as I go.

One thing that has to be considered is the elevation of the user. As I'm reassembling each saw, I check their address and find their elevation. If they are above 3000 feet, I don't drill the main jet.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
These days they do the same thing but with a machine.
Not all of us. I did change muh smoke a bit.

Welp, I believe Randall had an advantage working on these carbs with former Holley and Q-jet knowledge. Those cats have different stripes but still hunt in the same woods.

Worked on blow through Holleys with power adders before all this modern electronics took hold... just like you guys did. That helped a big bunch for myself imo. Four pounds of boost changed the landscape in that dark foggy woods forever.

Good thread here about balancing the high speed fuel curve for tuning. I did see some off topic pics posted by the OP ;)

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So.....finishing up the deburring of these mufflers....then reassembling 9 saws.

Gotta tweak the carbs as I go.

One thing that has to be considered is the elevation of the user. As I'm reassembling each saw, I check their address and find their elevation. If they are above 3000 feet, I don't drill the main jet.

No drill for you if you is high.

You do build a fine 461.
After noodling up some oak with it i had one of my buddies ask if he could buy the noodles for his dog boxes.
When you can impress rednecks with your saw mods you have made it sir.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It helps me understand why when I put the .68 jet in... it was only 1/2 turn out on the H at 12,800rpm in 80 degrees ambient temp and 1000ft elevation. Changed back to the stock .62 jet... and the venturi bored out 1mm, I was 1 to 1-1/4 out on H at 12,800 in the same temps and elevation. When the saw and carb was stock it was 3/4 turn out at the same temp/elevation. I’m sure it would have ran ok if I left the .68, but I wanted room to be able to deal with variation in elevation, temperature and mix fuel. Taking into consideration my elevation is fairly low here in CT depending on where I am (varying from sea level to 1,100 feet roughly). I am guessing that 1 - 1 3/4 turn out on the H is a good ballpark range to shoot for depending on your elevation/temp?
I ended up changing to a .66 which ended up being pretty close to perfect for my setup (.62 was a little small). I figure they had the .62 jetting tuned in mind for a stock saw with a stock venturi and 50:1 fuel (which actually runs fatter on the H/L settings). I can see some of these ported saws pushing the limits with heavy oil and 32:1 on stock jetting... especially with a autotune or mtronic.

Last edited:

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried the am duel port muff on the 461,, I know it’s am but just wondering if it’s any different in performance and a bit less work o_O

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pffffttt. Bearings and seals for this 201t. I had more time invested in cleaning. Working on used equipment ain’t all its cracked up to be.
View attachment 250386
Yep..I never blame him not working on used saw. I know this well enough. And most of the time if you need to pop the top end you need to clean the surrounding too. Or stuff will end up in the crank case.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pffffttt. Bearings and seals for this 201t. I had more time invested in cleaning. Working on used equipment ain’t all its cracked up to be.
View attachment 250386

Nasty !!!!

Stuff like that stinks up my little shop.

Have you tried the am duel port muff on the 461,, I know it’s am but just wondering if it’s any different in performance and a bit less work o_O

Oh yeah. The paint is horrible. Burns off in a few hours. Aside from that....they're fine. I actually would rather just enlarge the opening in the can. I'm sure there are gains to be had from multiple outlets, but the added noise ain't worth a few percentage points of performance in my humble opinion.

I wish I could avoid adding an extra deflector to the 261 and 362.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'll comment on this.

For my own personal use I do not have a problem with the AM mufflers, but for professional use on others saws I would avoid them whenever possible.

The metal on OEM is thicker and stronger (better quality metal). When abused in the field (pressed against the tree, etc) they will often fail far sooner than an OEM muffler.

Whenever I'm working on a saw for a tree pro, I try to use modified OEM mufflers rather than AM. They are far less likely to come back to you prematurely.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nasty !!!!

Oh yeah. The paint is horrible. Burns off in a few hours. Aside from that....they're fine. I actually would rather just enlarge the opening in the can. I'm sure there are gains to be had from multiple outlets, but the added noise ain't worth a few percentage points of performance in my humble opinion.

Nasty !!!!

Stinky shop lol. What stinks up the shop?
You love vapors that's why you went back to a small stinky shop.

None of my 362 work saws are dual port muffler. *f-word that noise is right. The 260 and 66 make my head hurt with front exits. It sucks!... unless they look like this

Found a junk cover missing a corner and viola. No more ear splitting noise and fumes. Everything here needs to be done for the mill and stumps. It works but has one issue. The treads vibrate loose so they to go to band camp. 'mAlso has a baffle but not the factory one. With an old 066 baffled can and this pipe cover it sounds like a modern 100cc dirt bike. Still tuning it for mo powa with a hollow can. Could possibly add a muffler. The 084 is getting a muffler hooked on my big mill. Tunable street bike muffler.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A ported 461 or any 1128 for that matter with a front exit cover is one of the more obnoxious modern saws I’ve run. The tone/vibration frequency gets old after a few hours. Gives me a headache. I prefer the stock closed front cover and side exits. Doesn’t seem to loose too much power anyway.... as long as the side exit or added side port is opened up good.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the 1128s I think there is a big difference between the dp covers that have been opened up, and those that have not been modified.

If not modified, it is more like a side exit and not as loud.

On my 660s, I like all the openings on the right side of the muffler to prevent chips from falling in (although they won't go in when it's running).

If you shut the saw off in the middle of a cut and re start it, I don't want to have to worry about it. Let gravity help you!