Is this the end of Makita Gas Chainsaws

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple of weeks maybe a month ago I went to Columbus Ohio to help out my son .He recently moved from Louisville Ky to an area called Clintonville ..Big old stone house built in the 40's that had unoccupied for four years . I straightened out some of his electrical stuff .Afterwards I used a battery Dewalt sawsall with a trimming blade to trim a few trees. On something like that it worked out fine .However had it been 40 feet in a bucket truck it would have been one of my Stihl 200T's .

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But what if we werent allowed gas powered tools, then everyone would be on the same
footing, cost of production might rise, but when did you ever see people complaining about
being able to make more money because they could / had to charge more to cover their costs.
I'll keep my gas powered tools same as I will keep my guns no matter what the government says. I like tinkering with chainsaws, tuning carbs, muffler mods, etc. All that would go away with battery saws. Imagine how boring these forums would be. No more oil threads, it would be posts like "man I put a fresh battery in my saw today and she really cuts". Or "I bought the new Makita turbo battery charger, it charges twice as fast".
No thanks, I'm not going that route.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like my battery chainsaws. But think that we are a long way off from eliminating the need for gas in many situations.

Bummer. I liked Makita/Dolmar as a counterpoint to STIHL / Husqvarna / ECHO.

I guess that Volvo is getting of gasoline cars too.

Philbert

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll keep my gas powered tools same as I will keep my guns no matter what the government says. I like tinkering with chainsaws, tuning carbs, muffler mods, etc. All that would go away with battery saws. Imagine how boring these forums would be. No more oil threads, it would be posts like "man I put a fresh battery in my saw today and she really cuts". Or "I bought the new Makita turbo battery charger, it charges twice as fast".
No thanks, I'm not going that route.

Or I rigged up a socket on my saw, and now I take the gass guzzling suitcase
generator and it to the woods, cut two cords today on one tank.

Or, I modified the code on the controller, now this thing really rips,
Or, I found a battery to fit on my back pack, has double the capacity
of the Stihl OEM, and its quarter the price.

Or hec, them clamshell cases are a modders dream, you can stuff any motor in there,
not like them dam silly split case models.

Lsf

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s really hard to get more sales, at least here with the current product range and price. The Dolmar brand was well known but also declining in sales, I think because the ‘owner’ didn’t want to compete with Husqvarna and Stihl.

Cordless screwdrivers, reciprocating saws, circular saws, construction tools is a whole different field.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Electric would be fine for a lot of my work. Not really interested in these toy battery saws they make right now. My only use for current offerings would be light trimming and I don't do a lot of it now days. I'll stick to the smaller ornamentals for light trimming with a clipper and pole pruner. The battery-in- saw design is lacking imo. I'm heading in a different direction with electric saws if at all.

Wondering when parts for gas saws from the factory will stop production.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Electric would be fine for a lot of my work. Not really interested in these toy battery saws they make right now. My only use for current offerings would be light trimming and I don't do a lot of it now days. I'll stick to the smaller ornamentals for light trimming with a clipper and pole pruner. The battery-in- saw design is lacking imo. I'm heading in a different direction with electric saws if at all.

Wondering when parts for gas saws from the factory will stop production.
I was wondering about the parts myself.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Problem is current batteries don’t have a high enough energy density. The electric drive is not much of a problem. Looking at the dyno tests today, a 70cc saw makes around 6.5 hp. That’s 4.9kw. Let’s say it has to run at full throttle for an hour. That 4.9kwh. Right now lithium batteries are about 245wh/kg. So you would need a battery that has 5.4 kwh assuming 90% motor effiency, which would weigh 48.5 lbs. or 5 batteries that weigh about 10lb each to get 1 hour of cutting time or you could cut for about 12 min per battery.
let’s look at how much gas that would take. Assuming 20% efficiency, on the low side due to being a 2-st, we need 24.5 kwh of energy. With a gallon of gas containing 33.7kwh, we would need about .75 gallons of gas. That is only about 4 lbs.
Don’t take this as I don’t like electric power, I am just skeptical of its usage in many applications without a major breakthrough in battery technology.
This is exactly why batteries will never work out in a forestry application

darkimpulse

Firewood Hack
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makita will sell Dolmar. Some company will be interested in it if only for the name. Get ready for Dolmar brought to you by Sum Ting Wong co.
This is the most likely scenario I'm sure, Makita will keep trying to squeeze every bit of money out of the product line until 2022 before selling it though, IMO.