Inside the.....? (solved, MS 500i)

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the saw has no map sensor or anything? It can't be strictly map(tuning) based provisions. The has to be some sort of reference to temp and density altitude...at least.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
12:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
462 just flat hauls rpms in the wood in my experiences, but not heaps of low end torque. A fast and rather highly strung saw. How’s the 500i’s torque feel in comparison?
In my experience, the 462 does not make the RPMs of either the 461 or 460/046.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the saw has no map sensor or anything? It can't be strictly map(tuning) based provisions. The has to be some sort of reference to temp and density altitude...at least.
It’s my understanding it has a MAP/pressure sensor, a temp sensor and ability to register crank speed. Those are enough for speed density but in the Automotive world, speed density systems have a throttle position sensor and use an oxygen sensor to check whether to deviate rich or lean from the base map. Think GM TBI systems, Honda PGM-FI, etc. Systems with no air flow meter/MAF sensor.

My bike (98 VFR) is FI. It actually still has a manual “choke” though for cold starting. It’s really an enrichener/starter jet, not a choke plate. My RC51 was the same way. They use a programmed FI system which has no feedback measures. It’s all in the mapping. It uses air and engine temperature, throttle position, rpm and load or calculated load inputs to derive the proper injector pulse time in milliseconds. It does compensate for weather and condition changes but it’s still a predetermined, programmed value.

I’m totally guessing here, but I bet this system is similar in function.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s my understanding it has a MAP/pressure sensor, a temp sensor and ability to register crank speed. Those are enough for speed density but in the Automotive world, speed density systems have a throttle position sensor and use an oxygen sensor to check whether to deviate rich or lean from the base map. Think GM TBI systems, Honda PGM-FI, etc. Systems with no air flow meter/MAF sensor.

My bike (98 VFR) is FI. It actually still has a manual “choke” though for cold starting. It’s really an enrichener/starter jet, not a choke plate. My RC51 was the same way. They use a programmed FI system which has no feedback measures. It’s all in the mapping. It uses air and engine temperature, throttle position, rpm and load or calculated load inputs to derive the proper injector pulse time in milliseconds. It does compensate for weather and condition changes but it’s still a predetermined, programmed value.

AJ you make my head hurt![emoji6]

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Okay so it is running crank sensor off the flywheel likely, map, and temp. That is going to make the map active.

Whatever the voltage is to the sensors, you could intercept that to tune. More than likely just temp sensor manipulation. Map sensors are different and you can't really adjust the pressure they see, from my experience back in the day you can't intercept and adjust the output voltage signal from the map.