Inside the.....? (solved, MS 500i)

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First thing. Lot of work and effort put in by Steph on this Vid...:)
A few points here dealing with the standard saws....
8 pin drive sprockets...Is that what each maker fits as standard ? . Pros and Cons here.....gearing up has some negative outcomes regarding overall speed /and wood type performance as well as giving the chance at more chain speed.
The HP output of the saws has got a chunk of grunt difference between the most powerful and the least.
"Rated" power stats ....Stihl 500i = 6.8hp and the Dolmar ps-7910 at 5.76 HP =(5.9 ps).
The 572 and 462 are nearer each other in time/cc and HP so you would hope they were close to each other.
Run time...
Are they all more or less new?
Variables to be had there as well in the future perhaps.

I actually thought that an 8pin for the 500i is an advantage because more displacement, power and torque on the paper, compared to the other saws. I can repeat the test with a 7pin, no problem. But i don't think it will change the outcome that much at the moment.

To the runtime, the 500i now has about 7 tanks through after my testing and some firewood cutting. The 572xp is the demonstration saw from my dealer and has 40h on the clock. The 462 is from an arborist, buddy of mine, easily up to 100h runtime. The 7910 from my dealer was a training saw for apprentices at the forestry school, over a year in use.

Sure, the 500i should gain a bit over time, still pretty new.

Here's a chart with stock numbers out of the german "KWF Prüfbogen Index" the 500i looks impressive on paper, the 572xp not really in comparison

stock_chart.jpg

Out of curiosity, what kind of wood is that you are testing in?

spruce ;)

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I actually thought that an 8pin for the 500i is an advantage because more displacement, power and torque on the paper, compared to the other saws. I can repeat the test with a 7pin, no problem. But i don't think it will change the outcome that much at the moment.

To the runtime, the 500i now has about 7 tanks through after my testing and some firewood cutting. The 572xp is the demonstration saw from my dealer and has 40h on the clock. The 462 is from an arborist, buddy of mine, easily up to 100h runtime. The 7910 from my dealer was a training saw for apprentices at the forestry school, over a year in use.

Here's a chart with stock numbers out of the german "KWF Prüfbogen Index" the 500i looks impressive on paper, the 572xp not really in comparison

View attachment 178130

spruce ;)
I just made the point of reference to 8 or 7 pin because 7 pin is what the 7910 and 572 seem to have as standard supply in 3/8 set up (in the UK is my information) ... I see that the 462 shows the option of both on the IPL.
I know folks will/can swap the rim size around between 8 and 7 , but the 7 pin can make a difference to how the motor hangs onto its working rpm when cutting with a 25 inch bar.
25 inch is not classed as a "short" bar here and most often is going to be cutting hardwood where the sweet spot of rpm and torque is going to be felt easily.
I certainly would not be looking for you to do the test again Steph ! ...your test , your rules .
The outcome seems what you would hope...the 500i is no joke and the 572 and 462 seem to be on par with each other. Just as it should be if Stihl and Husqvarna are doing there jobs properly .
Thanks for your efforts and time Steph bringing the saws together.

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All saws should be faster with the 7pin with that bar/chain/wood combination (ok, maybe not the ported 390xp), especially the 70cc saw's (462, 572xp) should like it more, because of the powerband. But i have chosen the 8pin for the test to load the saw's more. With higher gearing you need more grunt down the rpm range, it's just that simple. I think i will do a re-test with the 7pin, purely out of interest.

I'm a little sad that I have not got a good running stock 7900 for the test, the 7910 is just clearly throttled by it's exhaust system and ignition.

MarcS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder how much we are getting into wives tale territory with this idea that saws need so many hours to “wake up”. Nobody mentions a new bar and chain needing time to break in but it’s the largest drag on a powerhead, no? How many of us throw an old b/c on a new power head? Just something to think about, not saying it is or isn’t a factor.

If someone had the time and money to track some new saws long term from new on the same cant or log...somehow figuring out how to keep the chain tension consistent and figuring out how to keep bar wear out of the equation (not to mention tuning changes and the weather changes...) it would sure be interesting.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t think we’re on wives tail territory at all, every new engine requires break in some more then others. Heck some of the more sophisticated 2 strokes limit power and add more oil while breaking in fro a certain number of hours then once that required time is done it’s full power

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7910 seems unusually behind the rest. Mm and 6400 coil make a difference, after that it’s probably faster than a 7900. The lighter slab sided piston and larger cylinder exhaust port outlet seem to give it more potential... just imho. Both are pretty close though. Splitting hairs really.

Last edited:

MarcS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t think we’re on wives tail territory at all, every new engine requires break in some more then others. Heck some of the more sophisticated 2 strokes limit power and add more oil while breaking in fro a certain number of hours then once that required time is done it’s full power

I don’t disagree that it’s an issue, I’ve seen it myself on the few new saws I’ve bought-just never really timed anything to know how much of a factor it is. It gets brought up constantly in every thread it seems and I’m willing to bet there is more to it (or not to it) than we think. Since we are all saw nerds worried about .1 second here or there you’d think we’d look at it deeper.

ClerenceHill

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

View attachment 178130

spruce ;)

Hey Steph, the data’s of the saws are interesting. To complete the list, may you could add the power at max torque ans also the specific fuel consumption at P max and Md max.

The power/torque range of the 395 is enormously. The fuel consumption of the 461 is very spare instead the 500i.

Great work Steph, and please proceed your work!!! I will looking forward to get the 462 HWK and see the further test results!

Best regards from Frankonia
C

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just another day "breaking in", 9x tanks now. Tomorrow i will do a test against the 462 with 7pin. After that i will do a muffler mod, and on saturday a bit more [emoji16]
a3115804e14afa913ba70976eb992099.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk