ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Floppy av is why I never liked huskies, After running hard rubber mount stihl to a old 288 or 372 to cut some firewood made me want to chuck it down the hill. Every cut looked like a disco laser cut it.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Floppy av is why I never liked huskies, After running hard rubber mount stihl to a old 288 or 372 to cut some firewood made me want to chuck it down the hill. Every cut looked like a disco laser cut it.

Thank You.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AV mounts are identical on those two so new mounts pretty much makes them equal. I’ve had a half dozen 460 and one 461 done up by Randy and i preferred the 46s with finger ports for my use on a mill and in the woods. The spring AB is nice but you can’t feel a hinge or the last little bit of wood going away in a bucking cut as easy. I don’t care for how the 462 feels like a 50 cc saw and will probably be maxed out with a 32-34” all the time.

I'll stick with new ones being better than 20 year old ones, thanks anyways.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll stick with new ones being better than 20 year old ones, thanks anyways.

I replaced them yearly on my 46 I used for everything. They do wear very quickly on a mill. I always kept the upper one in the box and a set at home for the whole saw. I never knew people were too cheap to replace mounts on a saw but will pay for rebuilds and port work?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced them yearly on my 46 I used for everything. They do wear very quickly on a mill. I always kept the upper one in the box and a set at home for the whole saw. I never knew people were too cheap to replace mounts on a saw but will pay for rebuilds and port work?
That’s like never changing shocks or struts on your vehicle. :confused:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one I ran was maxxed out with a 25” or 28” on it but I’m justa dumb mulewright.

I recommend the 462 with a 20 in most cases, or a 25 max.

After all....it weighs like a 60cc saw. I can make them pretty fast, but have yet to find a recipe that makes them have the sort of torque I like my saws to have.

All that said......I build and sell a lot of them.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You'd be surprised how want work done on tight budgets.

That’s like never changing shocks or struts on your vehicle. :confused:

What happened to if it ain't broke don't fix it?

After all....it weighs like a 60cc saw. I can make them pretty fast, but have yet to find a recipe that makes them have the sort of torque I like my saws to have.

You guys argue with Randy now, I have AV's to change and stuff to do.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Exactly.

Your saw ran great for a saw with a 25” bar at the PA GTG in 2018 but a 461 felling saw it is not.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worn out is same as broke. Damnit stump, you ain’t gotta be so difficult. Lol

I show a pic of it in two pieces, it gets approved right then. That's Broken.
Gee, this is still in one piece, should be replaced, ah it'll be alright,bout it back in. That's worn.
The 51/55 Husky manual specifically stated, that any time the saw is taken apart, the AV's are to be changed with new. There's thread after thread guys putting them back in, I don't even say anything anymore.
You been busting my hump for two friggen days and I'm the difficult one? Leave me alone, see what I do then.
I still like the 461 better you 460 freaks! Lol

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hhhhhhhhm.... OK, fellas, thanks for all of the good read.
Someone mentioned above if Ihave picked a 46 yet. Fact is, I have a nicely modded 460, done by Mr. Sausage fingers himself.

I have NO NEED for a big saw. I just like them and I want one. You all know exactly what I mean.
When I was married I needed a good saw to cut my 6-8 cords of firewood/year.
I no longer have a woodburner, just like to cut wood.

What I was actually fishing for is if I should consider selling/trading my 460 for a 461 or 462. Of course, it would have to be modded, or I woud have it modded.

From what I have read above:
460-461-462-, it's a wash. some say one is better than the other. Some disagree. It seemd to me like the age-old Ford/Chevy thing, and we all know that Ford sucks, Chevy is king, and Dodge is for women and children.

It all comes down to weight as I see it. I'm 59 years old and have a messed up shoulder and neck that when it acts up I have no feeling in my right arm and hand, and it tingles and wakes me up at night. A couple pound lighter saw might be the answer.

How much difference in weight between:
460 and 461
460 and 462

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You girls need to update your 462s with a stiffer A/V kit from West Coast Saws after you're done with your periods. It's a big improvement, much less spongy but still kinda smooth if you measure those sort of things.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My vote goes with the 462s, I have 2 of them ported, and I will be at the PA GTG tomorrow (with them) if you want to try them out.

One was done by Randy, one by Doc Al, and they are my 2 favorite saws. Excellent power to weight, and they get stronger with break in. Light, smooth, fast, and great throttle response. If you have to do both limbing and bucking, you would never choose the other 2.

The 462 is over 1.5 lbs lighter than a 460/461, is smoother (has spring AV), is computer controlled (no tuning screwdriver) and keeps the air filter cleaner for MUCH longer. IMO, it is the clear choice, and I have a very strong running ported MS 460 (with a 046 D cylinder).

Unless you run at least a 28" bar often, I would go with the 462. Also, on the dyno they made MORE than 6 Hp, and over 7 Hp with just a muffler mod!!!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both of my ported 462s (MOFO and MMWS) run great!

The non M Tronic one that Kevin ported (it was at the GTG) also ran very strong.

We are fortunate to have both a lot of good saws, and a lot of good builders out there!

Eddie Southgate

One Step Ahead Of The Law
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Southern Middle Tennessee and Hillsboro Alabama
Country flag
Al is a big fan of the 462 M Tronic saw . He ported my 261 CM and it's a bear. He also advised me to get a 462 CM for my heavier work because of the great power to weight ratio. If I were buying a new mid weight saw I would take that advise .