STIHL If You Could Pick A 46........

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
6:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t do much logging anymore. Just firewood, and don’t have time for that either.

Seems I don’t here lately either but even when I was in a saddle & tied off, that wrap seems to be handy when in an awkward position.

I’m surprised more climbers don’t transition to wrap saws honestly.

I joked a few times about trying to add a wrap to the 200Ts & the 261s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems I don’t here lately either but even when I was in a saddle & tied off, that wrap seems to be handy when in an awkward position.

I’m surprised more climbers don’t transition to wrap saws honestly.

I joked a few times about trying to add a wrap to the 200Ts & the 261s.

I never cut in trees while in em. But I have cut a few while riding the ball.
Lmao

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never cut in trees while in em. But I have cut a few while riding the ball.
Lmao

[emoji1787]

That crane company safety man said,

“ you wanna do what?”

I hey man, I’ve got an ANSI approved tie off point- it’s legal eagle with paperwork and all.

“ I’ve heard of them but never seen ‘em.”

I sent him the link to the one I have in text & 1hr later his 65t operator was hoisting me into a funky big pine in a back yard in Newnan.

Time & A Place.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The users age?

Saws age, hence AV's age, pro user wants a saw to cut with, not play around like we do. An old 460 will make your hands tingle with hard AV's cutting all day. In that respect a new 461 is a much better choice for the end user plus being a new saw less likely to have running issues in the field. Even when rebuilt, there's always something that's still old on the saw waiting for it's time to retire. Can't make money going to town and getting your saw fixed and/or replaced.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saws age, hence AV's age, pro user wants a saw to cut with, not play around like we do. An old 460 will make your hands tingle with hard AV's cutting all day. In that respect a new 461 is a much better choice for the end user plus being a new saw less likely to have running issues in the field. Even when rebuilt, there's always something that's still old on the saw waiting for it's time to retire. Can't make money going to town and getting your saw fixed and/or replaced.
Few guys I know still cut timber everyday with 460’s. Not broke, don’t fix it.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Few guys I know still cut timber everyday with 460’s. Not broke, don’t fix it.

There was an old timer still cutting with a rack of 266's out in the woods here, wasn't broke for him either, but you didn't see anyone trying to follow in his footsteps and get themselves one.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was an old timer still cutting with a rack of 266's out in the woods here, wasn't broke for him either, but you didn't see anyone trying to follow in his footsteps and get themselves one.
Not everybody that cuts timber runs off and buys the new chit.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not everybody that cuts timber runs off and buys the new chit.

And that's wonderful for them, really it is. I saved myself a taken out of service 460 to mess around with one day.
That doesn't however make it a good recommendation for everyone else in blanket form.
Used or new I like the 461 more gooder, that's my opinion.

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you have the cash to do either and you can wait, I would get a 462 and have it ported, I haven't run a ported one but I'm guessing it wouldn't disappoint. I got a 462 in the summer of '19, it is a really sweet saw, light fast etc.

Soon after getting it, I built an 046 and ported it, cut the base, blah blah blah, everything I could do except mess with the upper transfers, this 046 smokes the stock 462, I eventually traded the 462 off to a guy from OPE, I miss it but it would just sit in the garage, I was always grabbing the 046. Most of what I do is bucking rounds for firewood and paring logs down for my buddies Woodmizer.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have the cash to do either and you can wait, I would get a 462 and have it ported, I haven't run a ported one but I'm guessing it wouldn't disappoint. I got a 462 in the summer of '19, it is a really sweet saw, light fast etc.

Soon after getting it, I built an 046 and ported it, cut the base, blah blah blah, everything I could do except mess with the upper transfers, this 046 smokes the stock 462, I eventually traded the 462 off to a guy from OPE, I miss it but it would just sit in the garage, I was always grabbing the 046. Most of what I do is bucking rounds for firewood and paring logs down for my buddies Woodmizer.
I wasn’t impressed with a ported 462 either, but that was a direct comparison to my hybrid.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
3:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a living full time for years with 046s/460s but of course that was from when the 046 first came out (1996) through 2007. Prior to that I'd been running 064s, 288s, and some older Dolmars.

When I built my first hybrid, that's pretty much all I wanted to run, except when the wood got big enough to pull out the 066. Luckily, Stihl made several different flavors of vibration mounts for the
044/440/046/460/064/066/660 saws and you could mix and match to suit your set-up and hands. Usually on the 066, I'd run two hard mounts up front and three softer mounts in the back. That
was a good mix for maintaining long bar stiffness and not beating up your hands.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a living full time for years with 046s/460s but of course that was from when the 046 first came out (1996) through 2007. Prior to that I'd been running 064s, 288s, and some older Dolmars.

When I built my first hybrid, that's pretty much all I wanted to run, except when the wood got big enough to pull out the 066. Luckily, Stihl made several different flavors of vibration mounts for the
044/440/046/460/064/066/660 saws and you could mix and match to suit your set-up and hands. Usually on the 066, I'd run two hard mounts up front and three softer mounts in the back. That
was a good mix for maintaining long bar stiffness and not beating up your hands.

Thank You.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

AV mounts are identical on those two so new mounts pretty much makes them equal. I’ve had a half dozen 460 and one 461 done up by Randy and i preferred the 46s with finger ports for my use on a mill and in the woods. The spring AB is nice but you can’t feel a hinge or the last little bit of wood going away in a bucking cut as easy. I don’t care for how the 462 feels like a 50 cc saw and will probably be maxed out with a 32-34” all the time.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AV mounts are identical on those two so new mounts pretty much makes them equal. I’ve had a half dozen 460 and one 461 done up by Randy and i preferred the 46s with finger ports for my use on a mill and in the woods. The spring AB is nice but you can’t feel a hinge or the last little bit of wood going away in a bucking cut as easy. I don’t care for how the 462 feels like a 50 cc saw and will probably be maxed out with a 32-34” all the time.

The one I ran was maxxed out with a 25” or 28” on it but I’m justa dumb mulewright.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one I ran was maxxed out with a 25” or 28” on it but I’m justa dumb mulewright.

It’s Probably a good firewood saw but I’d go crazy if it was floppier than a 661 with a 28” lightweight or 32”. I hate bending over. I can sharpen more teeth standing up easier than I make 50 cuts bent over

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s Probably a good firewood saw but I’d go crazy if it was floppier than a 661 with a 28” lightweight or 32”. I hate bending over. I can sharpen more teeth standing up easier than I make 50 cuts bent over

Color You crazy.

Me too

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Color You crazy.

Me too

I’ll probably never find out unless I cut wood with someone that has one. I hate spending money to try something out now that I’m not doing it for R&D.