IEL-Pioneer thread

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That green tint in the yellow paint seems to disappear over time. The pigment stabilizers are much better now.

There were differences in the export saws I'm sure. Ill' bet the black cover was factory.

Odd about the label being over the fastener. Maybe the wrong label was used at the factory or there was a warning label size requirement on export saws.

Anyway, yours is a fine example for sure.
The AF cover label on mine.

DSCF2956.JPG

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That green tint in the yellow paint seems to disappear over time. The pigment stabilizers are much better now.
That may be true, only mine is much more greenish than she appears in the pictures.
I did some patches on her with enamel I mixed for my 1200A (shown some pages earlier)
where I did a full paint job. As sample for the enamel, I used a small patch on the inside of
the sprocket cover which definitely has seeen little if any light before and hadn't suffered
from dirt. So that self-mixed lacquer is very close to the original and when applied
to my 1074, you'll hardly will notice any difference.

There were differences in the export saws I'm sure. Ill' bet the black cover was factory.

Odd about the label being over the fastener. Maybe the wrong label was used at the factory or there was a warning label size requirement on export saws.
There is a rectangular region on the AF-cover's upside where the surface lacks the leatherette texture
surrounded by a small raised edging. This area indeed holds a warning label:

pioneer_1074_af-cover.jpg

Anyway, yours is a fine example for sure.
The AF cover label on mine.

I'm very happy with mine and like to give back the compliments to you. If I hadn't
mine I would envy you.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm very happy with mine and like to give back the compliments to you. If I hadn't
mine I would envy you.[/QUOTE]

Very common here in Pioneer country.

You win being across the pond!

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A while ago I asked for the bar mount pattern for my Pioneer 650:

bar-mount-p650-jpg.259469

I think that's a bar made to fit a few different saws. With the larger oil holes.
K095 Oregon bar is correct pattern

I recently found an 1982 OREGON catalog and in there it states D026 is the mount pattern for Pioneer
P-20, 400, 540, 600, 620, 650, 700, 1110, 1200, 1200A, 1400 ... and a bunch of others
which looks very much like the bar I have on my saw:

D026-Pattern.png

Maybe someone might find this information usefull

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anybody any opinions about a P50?
There one in local classifieds but doesn't look too good, i.e.
next to all body paint seems to be gone.
Worth a collectable item?

Strong 82cc saw. Just about every one found is missing most of it's paint. I have a half decent P40 and the paint is falling off while it sits on a shelf.

The paint on the P41 51, 61 series is much better.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Strong 82cc saw. Just about every one found is missing most of it's paint. I have a half decent P40 and the paint is falling off while it sits on a shelf.

The paint on the P41 51, 61 series is much better.

As Tim said, the P-40/50/60 saws had weak paint. I think Pioneer switched over to powder coating later in the series so the X1 and X2 series saws held up much better.

Ignitions on P-50 and P-60 saws are also a weak point, but the P-50 had the most aggressive port timing out of that series and a bridged exhaust port, so they were very strong runners.

I can help with some parts for those and if it has the thin-ring piston, I have several NOS rings for those.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I guess the answer is run and get it!

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, too late.
While I was off at work the vendor has replaced the entire contents of the ad
with something completely different (a set of tools like screwdrivers and pliers and such)
so it seems the P50 is NLA

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got a different cylinder on this nice 1074 that I’ve had a few years. The plating was pretty well gone on the original jug and it sat on a shelf with not many hours on it. Something about these Pioneers, but you guys already know that! 1980 model.
41362e0cc88c546ec30a66f30f8d6d93.jpg

57d60e77c5c73253d616f8411ace891a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got a different cylinder on this nice 1074 that I’ve had a few years. The plating was pretty well gone on the original jug and it sat on a shelf with not many hours on it. Something about these Pioneers, but you guys already know that! 1980 model.
41362e0cc88c546ec30a66f30f8d6d93.jpg

57d60e77c5c73253d616f8411ace891a.jpg

Nice specimen.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea what happened, but it only had 80lb. of compression and wouldn’t start. It came from a dealer’s odds and ends pile. I’ll try to get a pic of the jug.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was at our local Pioneer dealer one day to pick up an order of parts a customer brought in a P28 and claimed the saw had seized up tight. The following conversation revealed he had just bought the saw about 4 hours before right there at this dealer. The mechanic and I looked the saw over, it had left with a tank of mixed fuel from the shop as it had been started and tuned before the customer left with it to cut up hardwood firewood at his yard. We dumped the fuel but it was straight un mixed gas, first fill up after the fuel from the shop ran out, the piston was badly smeared and the rings stuck on the exhaust side, it was sidelined but got another P&C installed later that month. Sometimes they get ruined very quick like, I have many saws in my collection that had just a few hours on them.

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The piston was hardly scored, and I was able to clean it up plus the ring was not stuck.
You're lucky then.
Mine has not been willing to give me a cough even when fuel drippled directly into carb's funnel.
Tested everything, from ignition, compression to leak test.
Finally I tore the mug and found this goo inside the crank-case. Even transfers had been clogged
so no wonder it wouldn't run at all:

kurbelraum.jpg

zylinder2.jpg

zylinder1.jpg

Well, air filter had been missing from the saw and apparently she must have been used without AF for quite some time.

Furthermore piston ring was stuck in grove and did crack on disassembly. New ring ist ordered and I expect to
redo the saw next weekend. I'm pretty convinced she'll run afterwards.

rest_kolbenring.jpg

Last edited:

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What a mess inside! Mine was clean with nothing found after flushing the crankcase. Noticed yours has the single ring piston as did mine. The donor saw and the other two I have use the double ring setup, and the single ring piston skirt is cut away on the intake compared to the dual ring piston.