I thought Stihl was a good saw!

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Already been mention but if there is enough meat around the original hole to go larger, time sert..

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
4:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d be willing to bet some of the tree service saws have bars with 3-400 hours on them. I’ve surfaced them many times these are es bars but even the rollomatic e bars do well. I’m wondering what the crank end on the clutch side looks like. I have a ms271 that runs perfect with a new drum on it but it’s sloppy the crank actually wore where the drum bearing rides on it. They must have had some bad tempering on the cranks and a 271-291 use same part. Wonder if the 261 does also because I remember some people with worn 261 cranks too

pinkfireman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have tried new bolts, new muffler, new gasket, Helicoils, even took some mental off of the two parts that touch the muffler because I saw that was a flaw. After reading here for what seems like days, retapped and went with bigger and longer bolts and lock washers. That seems to have lasted the longest but it still came off.
I'm at the point now of thinking about a whole new jug.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have tried new bolts, new muffler, new gasket, Helicoils, even took some mental off of the two parts that touch the muffler because I saw that was a flaw. After reading here for what seems like days, retapped and went with bigger and longer bolts and lock washers. That seems to have lasted the longest but it still came off.
I'm at the point now of thinking about a whole new jug.

Timeserts are wonderful. Try those instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would find someone with the same saw and see if you could compare the two running. If your saw feels and sounds any different, that may tell you if there is an internal problem. Too much vibration will shorten the life of any machine.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgot to say before but a certain serial span of the 271/291 saws had a recall for bad batch of crank bearings. I bought one from a shop that quit had maybe 15-20 hours on it and Stihl gave a new saw to him because bearings were letting go even though saw still ran. I put 80$ in new bearings and seal in it and sold it for 275$