High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 361- Potential mods to make a decent in tree saw.

timmad17

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to these parts. I have been building my collection of saws for a few years. I am still relatively new to modding saws and am looking for some ideas on how to pull more power out of my 361. Currently it has an zuma carb and has been muffler modded. I know that I can have it ported and polished but i was wondering if there was other parts that can be changed to increase power. I have heard that you can stick a 44 carb on it but not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance and have a good day

Tim 361.jpg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A real muff mod makes a big difference, not just adding a deflector. The muffler needs to be separated and gutted which is a royal PITA.

I wouldn’t add an 044 carb unless you port the saw. It doesn’t like any timing advance, one of the few models I’ve met that hated it.

It can accept a 046/460 oiler as a bolt on.

Short of getting it ported with machine work, you’re stuck with what you have, which happens to be a pretty good saw if kept in the range of reality.

It responds VERY well to porting.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
11:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Three years ago a tree company was taking down a big elm top down in a customer's back yard. The climber cut all that he could with a top handle saw and still had too much tree remaining to safely drop the rest. I was collecting the firewood and just happened to have my unmodified MS361 along.

The climber asked if he could borrow it for the next three cuts. His 290 would not start. So, they attached a rope to my 361 with a 20" bar on board and hauled it up. He started to use it and yelled down, "Now, that's what I call a chain saw! Wow!"

Needless to say, he made all the cuts and then used it to drop the final 20' vertical and buck it up. When it was over, the owner handed me two $20 bills with a whale of a grin on his face and said, "Ten years ago I knew I should have bought one of these babies."

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@timmad17 Didn’t mean lead you down the wrong path. I should have said advance it a whisper. Steve and Al have given sage advice on moderately advancing that timing (in stock form).

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one in the first vid was advanced as much as I do every other Stihl, even the flywheel keyed ones like the 261.
Second video the saw sounds solid, first video the saw sounds too hyped up....you almost trip from the mountain of chips in the second video lol. Is that a big poplar?