High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Huztl/farmertec 038 build

Scrapcan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
First post other than for workshop manuals or ipl.

i read lots of threads and searched like crazy to see if the below has been covered. I have not found it, yet.

I built an 038 clone kit from Huztl. Build went well, only minor issues with build, a few missing parts a few poor quality parts, etc.. saw runs good, cuts good. But still a few issues to resolve.

here is the biggest and why i am here. I have an issue with the switch control shaft cam not engaging the lever on the choke shutter. So the choke shutter does not close. And no start.

if i pull cover and filter, manual choke( ie finger or thumb) saw starts like we want them to. Fire on first pull, fast idle and warm up on second.

I am not sure if filter, switch control rod, or tank handle housing is out of spec. I have oem switch control rods (from 028, but part numbers are the same). No oem filter to compare to aftermarket that i have. No oem tank/handle to compare.

Does anyone have an oem 038 filter they can measure the choke shutter lever for me yo compare? Or have one i can trade/beg/borrow?

or has anyone had a similar issue they resolved?

I have trued my local Stihl dealers, all just want to sell a new saw instead of source parts for old saws.

So until i get an oem filter in hand, any help is much appreciated.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
11:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems they just copy it right lol.. 038's choke system is their down side. That's a design faw from stihl what I've read. They never shut tight enough.
I don't get your manual choke part though. The arm not touching the choke lever?

Scrapcan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@rocketnorton
No filter OE filter on the way yet, was going to cruise the old saw parts suppliers and eBay. If you have an extra one i would work with you on it.

i have oe control rods, I have a few 028 and spare parts. I worked for my uncle who was a Stihl dealer up till early 1990’s. My 028 were from the bone pile. I was never able to get an 038 as they were still worth it for owners to fix. Sorry I digressed. Got the control rod covered. Let me know. We can go to private message in that.

@qurotro

manual choke is pull the cover, pull the air cleaner, stick your thumb or finger in the carb throat, and pull starter. It will pull fuel if you have vacuum.

as to what it does, the cam on the control rod does no touch the choke shutter lever when in choke position. Almost comes underneath of it.

I will see if I can get a picture to post

Last edited:

Scrapcan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Three pictures. One with cam under choke lever, one with cam just on choke lever.

snd the third is a comparison of the AM 038 filter (low quality for sure) and an original OEM 028 filter. The hook on the 038 choke shutter is opposite to the 028. Is that incorrect? 93DD3E1C-515E-46D1-BFB4-32ECD237BC7E.jpeg7FA4EA76-E6BE-4523-8DB4-D70D4F71B0F6.jpegA849C15F-AC8B-4629-99DB-9287E5CAD7D0.jpeg93DD3E1C-515E-46D1-BFB4-32ECD237BC7E.jpeg

Scrapcan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Duane(Pa)
Ok that confirms my thoughts. I need to change the filter and control rod.

can you pop that filter off and take a picture of the hook direction on the choke lever?

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Duane(Pa)
Ok that confirms my thoughts. I need to change the filter and control rod.

can you pop that filter off and take a picture of the hook direction on the choke lever?
Yes. I will get that for you tomorrow in the morning.

Scrapcan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i appreciate all your help. I had a great time building this saw. It had been a long time since i had a box of saw parts.

i will keep this going until we get this thing figured out.

Scrapcan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Duane

thank you, I can’t express the appreciation i have for you taking your time on my behalf.

with that said, i will be getting an OEM filter and changing out the control rod. Your pictures are a huge help.

more to come.

Scrapcan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I will take better picture of the AM air filter. The hook faces the wrong way on it so the cam cannot close it correctly.

Another thing I witnessed last might is the filter body will collapse when you tighten the nuts to carb. No standoffs in the filter body to keep this from happening.

the geometry may be off on the control rod cam also.

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i'll have a look, they are oe filters, they may not have choke flap in them.
i know one doesnt come w/alum "nuts".
both in stihl sealed packages.
will let ya know later or tomorrow.

Scrapcan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@rocketnorton
Let me see what i can find first, i will get back to you if i can find the choke and springs or if i find s filter. I didn’t have time today as i am still working.

Scrapcan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry it took me a while to post an update. I had difficulty finding an OEM filter with port. Found quite a few with no port, but wasn’t sure if I should run the saw that way.

i did find a filter and waiting for it to arrive.

I think i will buy the non port style and look fir the old style carb to try.