Husqvarna 540i XP pro battery saw -- chain

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
he sprocket on my little Makita 18v battery saw looks a lot like the one you posted.
That looks more like a spur sprocket to me, with the teeth exposed, and the 'washer' (?) on one side. On the sprocket I posted, the flat 'washer thingy' / side plates alternate side-to-side between adjacent teeth. Hope that description makes sense.

Note: the Oregon website shows one that looks like yours:
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/s...325"low-profile--7-tooth---husqvarna/p/610730

Philbert

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
@Philbert had to have the cover off to clean the saw for the day so here's a couple shots of the makita sprocket:20210204_165735.jpg
20210204_165832.jpg 20210204_165837.jpg 20210204_165835.jpg

I really like the saw a lot. Wish I could convert it over to the c21/80txl chain instead of the lame 3/8lp makita insists on sending these saws with. Best I could do is convert it to 1/4. Haven't decided to pull that trigger yet though.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
May be a shot in the dark but from a manufacturer standpoint I think that those sprockets seem a little more fool proof and cost effective than conventional ones. I'll be the first to say that I have had my fair share of frustrations putting chains on certain sprocket setups(HUSKY!!). Those sprockets look extremely easy to throw a chain on. Easy to get the chain in like a spur sprocket but still able to hold up the bar and chain when you put the side cover on like a rim sprocket. More of a sprocket for dummies kinda thing. But hell, if they can take all the power from the saw and put it to the chain without any issues or slipping i wouldn't mind seeing them on more saws

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . from a manufacturer standpoint I think that those sprockets seem a little more fool proof and cost effective than conventional ones. . .
Easier and therefore cheaper to manufacture.
The side alternating "shim" allows the sprocket to be cast in a simple two part mold without the need for a casting core.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
May be a shot in the dark but from a manufacturer standpoint I think that those sprockets seem a little more fool proof and cost effective than conventional ones. I'll be the first to say that I have had my fair share of frustrations putting chains on certain sprocket setups(HUSKY!!). Those sprockets look extremely easy to throw a chain on. Easy to get the chain in like a spur sprocket but still able to hold up the bar and chain when you put the side cover on like a rim sprocket. More of a sprocket for dummies kinda thing. But hell, if they can take all the power from the saw and put it to the chain without any issues or slipping i wouldn't mind seeing them on more saws
Light weight also equals low cost investment casting or sandy media casts.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Philbert had to have the cover off to clean the saw for the day so here's a couple shots of the makita sprocket:View attachment 281124
View attachment 281123 View attachment 281125 View attachment 281126

I really like the saw a lot. Wish I could convert it over to the c21/80txl chain instead of the lame 3/8lp makita insists on sending these saws with. Best I could do is convert it to 1/4. Haven't decided to pull that trigger yet though.
Check and see what power pole rims or spur will fit that drive. It looks like a Stihl 101 type for the gear head. Forget what Echo has atm.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to start another thread but thought to find this old one when I initially bought this saw.

Bragging again on my battery saw and the chain.

My Husky 540iXP... I was amazed that I made 71 cuts on a fresh battery in 4-8 inch oak before it was out of juice. I don't know the time, my phone timer didn't work, I tried. I would guess 30 minutes of non-stop cutting with a helper quickly getting the logs into good cutting position for me to make each cut. The logs were in a big pile. I am shocked by how good this chain is, this sucker is super steel. It is Oregon 80TXL narrow kerf .325 .043 chain for 16 inch bar. I have always liked the equivalent Husky chain's cutting ability (I think it is called x-cut) but for some crazy reason, this Oregon Speedcut just keeps going and still cuts really fast. Makes me wonder if the Oregon version is slightly different from the Husky one. (In this very thread, someone said Oregon makes Husky chain.) I have had it on for several sessions, it is not brand new. Bravo for Husky and Oregon, good job!

I have three batteries, one is small but two are max size. Bought them all when I bought the saw. I can get quite a bit done in a cutting session!

I sure love my gassers but this battery saw is a keeper. Of course, it should be at the price I paid. Supposedly, it's a 'pro' saw.