How to square file

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, there have been some rocked chains I could not save, but I have never ruined a chain by square filing it!!!

Jeff, if we need to get together for this, let me know. We ain't that far away.
I had a Oregon square file chain that I used until it needed sharpening. First time I touched it I had a beak on it. It actually cut really well. Then I changed up a bit and filed more. I killed the chain. Sondre helped me bring it back.
I gotta keep at it this winter.
But I can show you how to kill the chain quickly. Lol
I appreciate all the tips though. [emoji106]

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Theses just arrived from Ebay. Accepted an offer of 6 bucks each shipped!!!
I have to say I am very happy with them. Sorry, I can't compare to other chisel files because do not have any. But, comparing to other new files that I have used on other various projects these thing cut incredible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-8-F...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

This is my first attempt at actual square filing. The chain is Oregon CL that I messed up with a goofy file and tried to correct. Please critique away. Rt and left cutters.

DSCN5842.JPG DSCN5843.JPG DSCN5844.JPG DSCN5857.JPG

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well.....I turned a Stihl Round file chain into a Stihl Square tooth today. Not the greatest, but I am fairly happy with it so far. I gotta get it in some wood to see how it cuts. Any help on how I can do better is accepted. Lol
Interestingly enough, it was easier for me to convert the round to square than it was for me to touch up a square filed chain. Not sure why, but it was. I took 10 strokes to each tooth to get it to that in the photo.
20171028_181603.jpg

Manofstihl066

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well.....I turned a Stihl Round file chain into a Stihl Square tooth today. Not the greatest, but I am fairly happy with it so far. I gotta get it in some wood to see how it cuts. Any help on how I can do better is accepted. Lol
Interestingly enough, it was easier for me to convert the round to square than it was for me to touch up a square filed chain. Not sure why, but it was. I took 10 strokes to each tooth to get it to that in the photo.
View attachment 94159
Getting it Jeff. I’ve said it before, it was easier for me to learn that way. A little unorthodox, but it worked best for me.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It should cut well Jeff, but you have a bit of a beak on it. Try to keep the corner of the file in the corner of the tooth.

I usually just do 4 or 5 strokes to get the corner, then do the rest of the tooth on subsequent sharpenings.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Julian has got me into Stihl chain here lately. It’ll keep an edge a while longer than oregon in hardwoods.
Yup. Oregon doesn't last as long, but very easy to touch up. Round file that is. Much softer metal. Much cheaper to buy too. Lol
Stihl seems to have a lot of chrome on the teeth.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For those just learning, keep your gullets cleaned back further than the squared side plate. Its alot easier to keep the file oriented through the stroke when your not filing with the bottom corner.
Hey John, when you file the gullet under the filed tooth, do you file it on an angle, the same as the top strap, or at a 90* angle straight across?
@Redfin

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 94159

Like MustangMike said, you have a slight side beak. Good thing is, it'll still cut. Side beak is better than top beak. As for your question on the gullet, I have done both and personally can't tell a difference, but I am not timing them. not running races just work.
I file the gullet flush to the side plate, or just under it, seems to work well.

Your close, keep at it.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would go same angle as the tooth, but in all honesty I generally don't bother doing them.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the John Reilly video, it looked like he went straight across the tooth at about 90*.