High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

How to square file

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I feel like you might be struggling because some of the advice here is geared towards building a race chain, and some is towards building a work chain. I know I am late to this party/thread, so maybe that issue has been brought up, but I think you need to decide which style chain you're trying to build, then go from there.
For a work chain, I'll again recommend getting the vintage Granberg guide... it'll be the best $15-$20 you spend.
Also, I wouldn't worry too much about "what angle" to file the gullets at till you figure out how the file the cutter. Focus on one aspect at a time, then put all the pieces together. Just my opinion.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You prefer filing the top plate angle on the gullets Mike?
I'll again recommend getting the vintage Granberg guide... it'll be the best $15-$20 you spend.

I have not seen any guides in that price range that accommodate the angles needed for square file. Am I missing something?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Travis. [emoji106]
I primarily am interested in work chain 95% of the time.
I think I learned a bit yesterday converting round to square. Something different for me. I will continue on with trying to get all the nuances of this square filing. I gotta do some trial and error stuff too. Lol
But I still like my round file stuff too. Just plain easier and faster for me.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well.....I turned a Stihl Round file chain into a Stihl Square tooth today. Not the greatest, but I am fairly happy with it so far. I gotta get it in some wood to see how it cuts. Any help on how I can do better is accepted. Lol
Interestingly enough, it was easier for me to convert the round to square than it was for me to touch up a square filed chain. Not sure why, but it was. I took 10 strokes to each tooth to get it to that in the photo.
View attachment 94159
In this picture you can see the angle on the underside of the top plate is fairly steep. That should make a durable chain for hard or frozen wood. If that angle is filed shallower, it will sever the wood fibers more efficiently (faster) but will loose its edge quicker in tough conditions. For green and/or soft wood, a knife edge will really get after it. A chisel edge will always be more durable though.

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel like you might be struggling because some of the advice here is geared towards building a race chain, and some is towards building a work chain. I know I am late to this party/thread, so maybe that issue has been brought up, but I think you need to decide which style chain you're trying to build, then go from there.
For a work chain, I'll again recommend getting the vintage Granberg guide... it'll be the best $15-$20 you spend.
Also, I wouldn't worry too much about "what angle" to file the gullets at till you figure out how the file the cutter. Focus on one aspect at a time, then put all the pieces together. Just my opinion.

Hitting the corner is the same regardless of work or race. & no one is telling him to shoot for beak. Keeping the gullet cleared out of the way makes it easier to learn. That's why he had less trouble converting a round to square.

Those granberg's are great for learning. I was fortunate to have my grandfather's sitting on the shelf.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Thanks. [emoji106]
I will take a swipe or two to clear away some more just for good measure.
I gotta work on a better corner too. I file better on one side than the other. Lol
Go figure.

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hitting the corner is the same regardless of work or race. & no one is telling him to shoot for beak. Keeping the gullet cleared out of the way makes it easier to learn. That's why he had less trouble converting a round to square.

Those granberg's are great for learning. I was fortunate to have my grandfather's sitting on the shelf.

Not disagreeing with you, just seems like a lot of different techniques being thrown out there, might be adding to the complication/confusion of square filling.
Using a guide like the Granberg will get the corner spot on, no matter where the gullet is. I was just offering a suggestion, to focus on one thing at a time, that's all. We all learn differently I suppose.

Last edited:

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have not seen any guides in that price range that accommodate the angles needed for square file. Am I missing something?
I have got several vintage Granberg guides that will absolutely file the angles for square, never paid over $20 shipped. eBay is where I find most of them.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I file better on one side than the other. Lol
Go figure.
We all can say that, when I first started my chain cut crooked.

They cut straight now. You have to Realize that you will file differently from left to right, then adapt accordingly

Just concentrate on the corner and keep the file moving in a laser straight stroke. The rest will fall into place