KcChiefs2019

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 346235
This is my first shot at this. Trying for a work chain, not a racer. Still need to clean the gullet up... It's hard to tell, but there's about 5deg of angle on the side plate. Shooting for less grabby and longer lasting. Is that an ok angle? Please, let me know if I need to change something, I'm only half way done at this point...
Oh, and I need to thank all y'all for this site. I've lurked and learned tons...
So, Thank You!
Best place on the big inner webs to get reliable info on saws or anything to do with saws.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With first snow flakes falling, my 2022 cutting season is over.
This particular file has exceeded my expectations.
Around 20 chords of wood processed, all hardwoods 3 to 5 years dry, all on Oregon 325 and 3/8 chain.
Tried my best to sharpen one side of the chain with one side of the file and same in reverse to keep everything even.
After every tooth, tap the file, after a side finished, use a brush or compressed air to clean the file.
Bought few more loops of Oregon to keep the variables out, I understand there are harder chains that will beat up files more.
The pictures do no do justice to how well this one held up.
Brand new file in March 2022 and by November 2022 we have at least 50% estimate on life left.
I was honestly expecting to go through at least two files for this season.
Many on the internet say to pre-clean the gullet to safe your double bevel files.
That was not done for this year, what ever got in the file's way was cut out by the bevels.

Front logo side
IcCShk9.jpg

jYS9Gtl.jpg

Back no logo side

Hn1fLSm.jpg

4AuCmqD.jpg

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With first snow flakes falling, my 2022 cutting season is over.
This particular file has exceeded my expectations.
Around 20 chords of wood processed, all hardwoods 3 to 5 years dry, all on Oregon 325 and 3/8 chain.
Tried my best to sharpen one side of the chain with one side of the file and same in reverse to keep everything even.
After every tooth, tap the file, after a side finished, use a brush or compressed air to clean the file.
Bought few more loops of Oregon to keep the variables out, I understand there are harder chains that will beat up files more.
The pictures do no do justice to how well this one held up.
Brand new file in March 2022 and by November 2022 we have at least 50% estimate on life left.
I was honestly expecting to go through at least two files for this season.
Many on the internet say to pre-clean the gullet to safe your double bevel files.
That was not done for this year, what ever got in the file's way was cut out by the bevels.

Front logo side
IcCShk9.jpg

jYS9Gtl.jpg

Back no logo side

Hn1fLSm.jpg

4AuCmqD.jpg
Vallorbe are my favorite to high quality for sure!!Get them by the dozen cheaper that way

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys. Ive been reading trying to catch up on this thread. I'm up to about page 104 lol.

I've been messing around with angles on my Granberg on an old chain I had laying around.

How do these angles look for a work chain? It will used mostly on hardwood.

20221212_122723.jpg20221212_122816.jpg20221212_122808.jpg20221212_122802.jpg

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just what I was going to say, the grinding looks just fine, but I would check your raker depth.

Best of luck with it, I do mine by hand, but I like square as you can use it for anything w/o changing the angles (crosscut, ripping and milling).

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks guys! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll have to look at my notes to be sure but I believe that was 40 top and 25 tilt on my Granberg jig. I don't file near enough chain to get as good as you guys freehand!

This is just an old chain that was on a saw someone gave me. Like y'all noticed the rakers look like they've never been touched and will need to come down. It also have a few teeth that are much shorter than the rest.

I was just planning on using it to get my jig dialed in to touch up my factory square Oregon chain with better angles. But I may bring all the teeth to equal lengths with a round file and then square up the whole thing and bring the rakers down. If a have enough meat left on the shortest cutters.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll have to look at my notes to be sure but I believe that was 40 top and 25 tilt on my Granberg jig. I don't file near enough chain to get as good as you guys freehand!

This is just an old chain that was on a saw someone gave me. Like y'all noticed the rakers look like they've never been touched and will need to come down. It also have a few teeth that are much shorter than the rest.

I was just planning on using it to get my jig dialed in to touch up my factory square Oregon chain with better angles. But I may bring all the teeth to equal lengths with a round file and then square up the whole thing and bring the rakers down. If a have enough meat left on the shortest cutters.
It’s a great way to teach muscle memory.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My understanding is that all the teeth don't have to be the same (although it is best if they are), but you should be OK if the rakers correspond with each tooth, and over time stuff will tend to even out. (The larger teeth will wear faster). May save you some effort and chain life!

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My understanding is that all the teeth don't have to be the same (although it is best if they are), but you should be OK if the rakers correspond with each tooth, and over time stuff will tend to even out. (The larger teeth will wear faster). May save you some effort and chain life!

I'll have to try that. Most of the cutters are about the same as the one I took pictures of. But there are probably 3 or 4 that are much smaller, maybe half to 2 thirds that size.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll have to try that. Most of the cutters are about the same as the one I took pictures of. But there are probably 3 or 4 that are much smaller, maybe half to 2 thirds that size.
You should be ok , just maintain ur rakers accordingly to the cutters .

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag