High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How to square file

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You need a few degrees more on that side plate :thumbsup:.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Underside of the top plate looks a bit aggressive in the first picture if you're cutting hardwood primarily, but if its mainly clean wood it should be fine.

I mostly cut clean hardwood. If it doesn't to seem so hold up, I'll try to add another 5 degrees tilt to my jig. That should make the inside top plate less aggressive but will also lower my outside top plate angle to probably around 17° from the 22° it is now.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I mostly cut clean hardwood. If it doesn't to seem so hold up, I'll try to add another 5 degrees tilt to my jig. That should make the inside top plate less aggressive but will also lower my outside top plate angle to probably around 17° from the 22° it is now.
It almost looks like your chain stop was holding the tooth further forward on the 2nd chain. You’d get the lean if you backed it up 1/4”

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Top plate angle is real close to what I like for a work grind/file.

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It almost looks like your chain stop was holding the tooth further forward on the 2nd chain. You’d get the lean if you backed it up 1/4”

That is exactly what happened. The second chain I did had only been filed once or twice previously and had a much longer tooth than the old chain I was testing on and I failed to make enough of an adjustment for that.

What I learned was to lock down my filing stop to set my file roll angle and adjust my tooth stop to bring the chain into it as needed. That way once I get my side plate dialed in it won't change from chain to chain.

Still wondering how much lean is good, I'm at 90° right now. Would 85° be about right?

Also I think I figured out why my inside top plate angle was different. On the chain I was testing on I didn't have the bar mounted to a saw so I used a pair of welding vise grips to hold the tooth from moving. And on the chain that I sharpened yesterday, I had it mounted to a saw so I was using my finger to hold to tooth from moving. I'm thinking by me pushing the tooth into the file, I was basically changing the tilt angle.

I'm planning to make a chain vise that the granberg will fit over so that should solve that issue. Or at least help with consistency.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, it's helping me see some of the details I overlooked.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is exactly what happened. The second chain I did had only been filed once or twice previously and had a much longer tooth than the old chain I was testing on and I failed to make enough of an adjustment for that.

What I learned was to lock down my filing stop to set my file roll angle and adjust my tooth stop to bring the chain into it as needed. That way once I get my side plate dialed in it won't change from chain to chain.

Still wondering how much lean is good, I'm at 90° right now. Would 85° be about right?

Also I think I figured out why my inside top plate angle was different. On the chain I was testing on I didn't have the bar mounted to a saw so I used a pair of welding vise grips to hold the tooth from moving. And on the chain that I sharpened yesterday, I had it mounted to a saw so I was using my finger to hold to tooth from moving. I'm thinking by me pushing the tooth into the file, I was basically changing the tilt angle.

I'm planning to make a chain vise that the granberg will fit over so that should solve that issue. Or at least help with consistency.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, it's helping me see some of the details I overlooked.
5 degrees forward is ideal .

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It depends on how sharp or blunt your cutter angles are. If your underside top plate angle is really acute, you don’t need/want much or it will be too aggressive and constantly bog the saw if your rakers are slightly low.

If your underside angle is more blunt (file pointed more down rather than back, work chain) you’ll need to have some forward lean to make it feed on its own. You could also lower the rakers but that leads to jerkiness and inconsistencies. Not as smooth.

You can’t control every tooth angle with a file because it’s fixed. Get your down angle where you want so the cutter will hold up and not dull instantly, get your forward lean where you want it so it feeds on its own with .025” rakers, and the one that means the least is the top plate angle (what you see when looking down). It ends up wherever it does

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It depends on how sharp or blunt your cutter angles are. If your underside top plate angle is really acute, you don’t need/want much or it will be too aggressive and constantly bog the saw if your rakers are slightly low.

If your underside angle is more blunt (file pointed more down rather than back, work chain) you’ll need to have some forward lean to make it feed on its own. You could also lower the rakers but that leads to jerkiness and inconsistencies. Not as smooth.

You can’t control every tooth angle with a file because it’s fixed. Get your down angle where you want so the cutter will hold up and not dull instantly, get your forward lean where you want it so it feeds on its own with .025” rakers, and the one that means the least is the top plate angle (what you see when looking down). It ends up wherever it does

Thanks for details explanation!

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As we wrap up this year, best advice for me in the square cut land for 2022 came from @Wolverine:

Start understanding your rakers - plain, simple, to the point!

This was absolutely revolutionary, as the internet is full of misinformation about how aggressive a square chain can be set.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As we wrap up this year, best advice for me in the square cut land for 2022 came from @Wolverine:

Start understanding your rakers - plain, simple, to the point!

This was absolutely revolutionary, as the internet is full of misinformation about how aggressive a square chain can be set.
:Saeufer: Did I ever share this one?

Gets all scientifical and stuffs.
And I've moved on to this:
https://westcoastsaw.com/products/depth-plate

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I will gladly watch and learn!

Then re-watch and learn more, then go out and practice, fail miserably, take a break, and re-do all over again!

One can never have enough info coming at them, I always have an open mind to other's suggestions and methods that worked through trial an error.

I have learned ALOT here in 2022, but I have a long way to go.

ALOT does not mean expert, mediocre at best in my world.

If squares were easy, everyone would be doing them.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Then re-watch and learn more, then go out and practice, fail miserably, take a break, and re-do all over again!

One can never have enough info coming at them, I always have an open mind to other's suggestions and methods that worked through trial an error.

You’re gonna do just fine , it’s a lot of repetitive hand and eye coordination, but nothing beats practicing, practicing, practicing!!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep your angles correct and your stroke straight ... and learn to be ambidextrous!

After a while, the file just fits the tooth like a glove, and it is as easy as round file!

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

And I've moved on to this:
https://westcoastsaw.com/products/depth-plate

Nice tutorial.
I checked out the link you posted. Those guides look really good.
Here's a few photos of 5 Stihl guides I got from a fellow in Germany a few years ago.
They look pretty similar to those in your link. The other guide is a Carlton.

Stihl file guides Germany 004.JPG

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice tutorial.
Here's a few photos of 5 Stihl guides I got from a fellow in Germany a few years ago.

View attachment 358976
Been using the Old Carlton file-o-plate for decades, been liking the WCS gauge lately

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Nice tutorial.

View attachment 358976

NOT my video. Just wanted to clarify. I do smell what he stepped in though.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@MustangMike Mike I did not forget about your pferds, I will try to put some time on them this year and have a review by fall.

Here are the bevels, same exact file as above, same exact filing as above, I was expecting more wear. One file held up really well over the entire season.

The picture will not quantify how well they are cutting at this stage.

No pre-filling anything, what ever got in the way, got filed out.

D3MZPVs.jpg

The other side

HNlqQrW.jpg