Local time
9:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://www.vallorbe.com/en-ch/products/forestry-products/chisel-bit-files
LC22718.png

Chisel_Bit_file,_Vallorbe_shape_-_LC_2270.png

When I started square filing, talk of Oberg straight cut files, like the ones picture above, said they were best. I've never seen or used one. Nor have I seen an actual pic of a straight cut Vallorbe. Point is moot for me now because I grind.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What does 2nd cut mean in the description?
‘ The cut of the file refers to how fine its teeth are. They are defined as (from roughest to smoothest): rough, middle, bastard, second cut, smooth, and dead smooth. A single-cut file has one set of parallel teeth while a cross-cut or double-cut file has a second set of cuts forming diamond shaped cutting surfaces.’ -Wikipedia

Philbert

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, but you won't swap it out and put it in you machine and sharpen it faster.

I have been quite surprised at how much wear happens on the top plate and the top corner just after one tank of cutting. All clean wood, but once I get into the knotty hardwood, the wear shows. Chain cuts nice, better than a round chain after a tank of gas in the same wood and same cc saw.

I have been practicing the art of touching up the chain on the bar wedged in as per earlier discussion, much harder than when pinched in a vice, but it is all about hand/eye coordination. I am starting to better understand the feedback from the file both in the sound and vibration to avoid chatter.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a wooden box with a flat top, I sharpen my saw chains on top of it. I put the bar in a stump vice and hold a paint stirrer with on hand (against the back of the tooth) and sharpen with the other hand. This procedure immobilizes the tooth. My wooden box is 27" long, 12" wide, 12" high. I store my sharpening supplies in it. I then sit on a mechanics stool to do the sharpening.

The bottom of the paint stirrer is on the box, angled into the back of the tooth, then I just pinch it against the guide bar. Goes fast, works well.

Generally, I square file by hand, but this procedure also works well for round file, with either a hand file or 12 V sharpener with diamond stone.