How to square file

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes there is. The time involved hand filing far outweighs how fast the job can be done w a grinder. I can bump dirt w the 135dl chain and not worry about it. Just touch up and go.
View attachment 319132 View attachment 319133
After 26 years in printing, I’m borderline carpal tunnel so I need to give my hands a break. That was a huge factor in getting a grinder.
What he said. I only dress if the tooth doesn't look consistent with the ones already done. Sometimes I give a quick dress after I finish one side of the chain. It takes literally 20 seconds.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only time I wish I had a grinder is when I rock a chain and it needs lots of material removed.

Other than that, IMO, hand filing the chain while leaving it on the saw is the fastest way to go.

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there different sizes of these double bevel files for the variety of cutter sizes? Or all done with one? Or is it the triangle and/or goofy that picks that up? I just ordered my first one a few minutes ago and I'm not finding that anywhere.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the rakers are a little low you may need to be careful not to lean on it too much.

Should cut real nice with that saw.

A good cutting chain you shouldn’t be leaning on, if anything you should be holding it back slightly the first few cuts. There’s a paper thin line between cutting good, too aggressive, and having to push, if you’re pushing at all you need to drop those rakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there different sizes of these double bevel files for the variety of cutter sizes? Or all done with one? Or is it the triangle and/or goofy that picks that up? I just ordered my first one a few minutes ago and I'm not finding that anywhere.

Triangle might work better on the smaller chain.

But the doubke bevel is typically the way to go and come in one size, but the different brands vary in width... Like pferd vs vallorbe, vallorbe isn't as wide. But the angles are similar along with the thickness.

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Im a sqare file beginner, but i have now also a .325 chain sqare filed with the same File. I use a Pferd File double beveld.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too bad that the cost and the fact there is no known CBN wheel are my two largest downsides that are keeping me away. For that price I do not want to stop every few teeth and re-dress to make a correct angle.
For those that are really proficient with your files is there any good advantage to buying an expensive grinder?
I wouldnt want a wheel with one permanent set of angles
Like others have said, the time it takes to sharpen is drastically reduced with a grinder.

Yes there is. The time involved hand filing far exceeds how fast the job can be done w a grinder.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sometimes I give a quick dress after I finish one side of the chain. It takes literally 20 seconds.
36" full comp, if I'm gentle, I can get the whole loop without dressing, but the last few cutters really need the cooling mist so they dont overheat

Single bevel for small stuff, triangle for big stuff, otherwise the sheer size in diameter of the triangle wont allow you to get into the corner without diving into the strap

A good cutting chain you shouldn’t be leaning on, if anything you should be holding it back slightly the first few cuts. There’s a paper thin line between cutting good, too aggressive, and having to push
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Triangle might work better on the smaller chain.
Works best on 404, a very bad choice for 325 and difficult with LoPro

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A good cutting chain you shouldn’t be leaning on, if anything you should be holding it back slightly the first few cuts. There’s a paper thin line between cutting good, too aggressive, and having to push, if you’re pushing at all you need to drop those rakers. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well stated. I agree 100%!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a lot more to cutter feeding than just the raker depth, and I do drop rakers more on a ported 660 than on a 261.

Also, for milling, the rakers should be dropped more as they don't self feed from the end grain the same.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldnt want a wheel with one permanent set of angles
Like others have said, the time it takes to sharpen is drastically reduced with a grinder.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

36" full comp, if I'm gentle, I can get the whole loop without dressing, but the last few cutters really need the cooling mist so they dont overheat

Single bevel for small stuff, triangle for big stuff, otherwise the sheer size in diameter of the triangle wont allow you to get into the corner without diving into the strap

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Works best on 404, a very bad choice for 325 and difficult with LoPro
Grinder is great for .325 and low pro/picco. Just thin the wheel enough!