How to square file

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the side plate is the same height with both files.

I just find that the rectangular 6 sided files have more mass and are easier to keep in a straight line.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the topic of beaking, here is my greener than grass filing, finally had some time during the holidays.

In this case when I do not line up the file with the inside lower corner what will this do?
Slower cutting due to chips not flowing out fast enough?
Dulling faster due to incorrect angles?
Increased chattering or anything else?

Same tooth, two separate angles.

Lq0V2L2.jpg

ji0Vrzm.jpg

LoneOak

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the topic of beaking, here is my greener than grass filing, finally had some time during the holidays.

In this case when I do not line up the file with the inside lower corner what will this do?

Lq0V2L2.jpg

ji0Vrzm.jpg

Absolutely nothing wrong with those angles!

20211014190702.JPG 20211014193335.JPG

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lq0V2L2.jpg

ji0Vrzm.jpg

In my short time and experience, having the inside lower corner doesn’t play as big of a factor as having the outside corners line up. I would think that if the file corner is higher then the inside corner, you would produce a more acute angle on the top plate inside. And just like knives, axes, and lawnmower blades, the more acute the angle, the sharper it will be, but not last as long.
If your filing from the inside out, I would drop the handle down a few degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just make sure the corner of the file is on the outside corner of the tooth, and my file angles are 45*, 45*, and 45*.

Generally, the proper down slope will rest the file on the top on the strap on the opposite side, and resting the file on that will help you to get the tilt angle correct.

Your file should fit into your tooth like a glove (for repeat filings), making alignment go as fast as with a round file.

LoneOak

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my short time and experience, having the inside lower corner doesn’t play as big of a factor as having the outside corners line up. I would think that if the file corner is higher then the inside corner, you would produce a more acute angle on the top plate inside. And just like knives, axes, and lawnmower blades, the more acute the angle, the sharper it will be, but not last as long.
If your filing from the inside out, I would drop the handle down a few degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with that for me, is that I tend to cut into the driver and tie strap. I also no longer file chain on the bar, I put it in a vice so the tooth is held absolutely firm.
Dropping the handle down will force a top plate angle less than 20*, pulling the handle back to compensate and regain the 20* top plate angle will produce a sharper side plate, and that is where I begin to nic the tie strap and driver.

In the photo below is my technique for producing the fastest, smoothest cutting and long lasting chain.

S G 3_LI (3).jpg
20211014202950.JPG

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem with that for me, is that I tend to cut into the driver and tie strap. I also no longer file chain on the bar, I put it in a vice so the tooth is held absolutely firm.
Dropping the handle down will force a top plate angle less than 20*, pulling the handle back to compensate and regain the 20* top plate angle will produce a sharper side plate, and that is where I begin to nic the tie strap and driver.

In the photo below is my technique for producing the fastest, smoothest cutting and long lasting chain.

View attachment 318763
View attachment 318774

I dig that first pic, it absolutely shows everything. It’s so easy to get it the wrong cutting angle on the top plate and it cuts fast but don’t last .. ask me how I know :rolleyes: and i was told beforehand. it goes to show you have to try it and all that..

Last edited:

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I almost bought a grindah. Well... Actually 2 grindahs, but they suddenly disappeared...
SO I still use a file.

Too bad that the cost and the fact there is no known CBN wheel are my two largest downsides that are keeping me away. For that price I do not want to stop every few teeth and re-dress to make a correct angle.

For those that are really proficient with your files is there any good advantage to buying an expensive grinder?
The baseline is for a homeowner, non racing situation. I understand the grinder will give you a more truer angle on the plates, more consistent angles from tooth to tooth and save your hands in high volume sharpenings.

For a homeowner non-racing application, how true is that angle at the point and the plates after about 10 cuts, will the angle variations from tooth to tooth cause that much slow down, and if one is doing maybe two or three chains per week during the cutting season, is it really that big of a work out to the hands?

Now if you get a killer price on a used one, then all of this is not an issue.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too bad that the cost and the fact there is no known CBN wheel are my two largest downsides that are keeping me away. For that price I do not want to stop every few teeth and re-dress to make a correct angle.

For those that are really proficient with your files is there any good advantage to buying an expensive grinder?
The baseline is for a homeowner, non racing situation. I understand the grinder will give you a more truer angle on the plates, more consistent angles from tooth to tooth and save your hands in high volume sharpenings.

For a homeowner non-racing application, how true is that angle at the point and the plates after about 10 cuts, will the angle variations from tooth to tooth cause that much slow down, and if one is doing maybe two or three chains per week during the cutting season, is it really that big of a work out to the hands?

Now if you get a killer price on a used one, then all of this is not an issue.
Yes there is. The time involved hand filing far exceeds how fast the job can be done w a grinder. I can bump dirt w the 135dl chain and not worry about it. Just touch up and go.
E46C6370-C19D-4E11-878C-10351741BFCB.jpeg BD128943-FB7B-490C-9A60-8FD247BE41CF.jpeg
After 26 years in printing, I’m borderline carpal tunnel so I need to give my hands a break. That was a huge factor in getting a grinder.

Last edited: