How to square file

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
6:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the topic of sharpening on the saw, is there any downside to pulling the bottom chain from the rails and jamming a wedge between the chain and bar to get the chain super tight for square sharpening?
Nope. That's the way I used to do it. Get it tight, lock the chain brake.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My second attempt, self feeds way better than the first one I did. Could drop the rakers a bit though.

This is my baseline, ported 60cc for torque, 7pin 56Dls, I don't like long bars for fun cutting.

Just wondering how low the rakers can go on this setup. I have read what @Wolverine said about easing into the rakers after making few cuts to not make them too aggressive. Should I not bother with my flat Oregon static rakers, the 20 thousands, or can I use them as a guide to see how close to the 20 thousands mark I am getting where I am happy with how the chain feeds?

ZukiRyder400

Breaker of recoils
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is my baseline, ported 60cc for torque, 7pin 56Dls, I don't like long bars for fun cutting.

Just wondering how low the rakers can go on this setup. I have read what @Wolverine said about easing into the rakers after making few cuts to not make them too aggressive. Should I not bother with my flat Oregon static rakers, the 20 thousands, or can I use them as a guide to see how close to the 20 thousands mark I am getting where I am happy with how the chain feeds?
I really dont know/remember where I set the rakers on that chain. I just start at a normal “hardwood” raker height on the depth gauge tool thingy. Then, if I feel the saw can take more bite, I take one smooth full pass off the rakers and test again. Sorry I couldnt help ya more mang. I need to start writing stuffs down... lol

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Use a progressive gauge/guide. The one Husky sells has hard and soft settings. If the hardwood side isn’t aggressive enough, switch over to the soft. It works great for me.

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, so I didn't have anyone available to take a pic for me, but this is how I use the paint stirrer to keep the tooth still when filing.

The bar is in a stump vice on top of my wooded chainsaw box. I hold the paint stirrer against the tooth with one hand, and file with the other hand.

Any pics of the square chain after you are done filing??

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One option is Bahco files from here

https://aboloxtools.com/Bahco-4-150-07-3-0

The last time I bought them they were sold per each but I am only seeing the 10 pack now
I’ve bought from there. I liked Bahco (till I used Vallorbe) but recent reports on FHC are that they may not be the same quality they were. Couple guys getting lots of chipping.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use PFRED from Bailey's Chainsaw. Buy them by the dozen just to get them a little cheaper.

They work and hold up well for me, but I'm not going to say there are not less expensive alternatives.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve bought from there. I liked Bahco (till I used Vallorbe) but recent reports on FHC are that they may not be the same quality they were. Couple guys getting lots of chipping.

I just went back and looked at my purchase history and I bought mine in January 2020

I just bought 4 to play with but never got around to a setup here in Hawaii that was sturdy enough to try square filing

*f-wording Covid killed my workbench and new vise plans

I took one back to Alaska when we went in late June and played with it on 1 older chain

It was my first time trying square and I didn't post any pics so you can imagine what it looked like

I thought the files cut well and I don't remember any issues with chipping

Compared to some Save Edge raker files I bought at roughly the same time they cut 100% better

This seems to be a common outcome with files anymore; "identical" files that are 180 degrees different in cut and quality

I think a lot is down to companies that contract out their file production and get a batch here and a batch there...

Some good, some bad

You gotta think Bahco is making their own files but in today's global economy who the *f-word knows...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to do that, but found putting the chain brake on and off numerous times for each chain to be a PITA!

Plus, it did not stop a little side to side wobble. My paint stirrer works better for me.