High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

How Picky Are You?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Should i admit to giving.. ALL.. saws that go through, or stay in my hands a going over with a spray on wax !! :)
Never had someone say.." You've done a bad thing cleaning and polishing my saw within the service" !

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
10:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I clean my tools after using them.Do a wipe down then hit them with air.Sharpen then there ready for another day of use.

Ditto. I try hard to hit them with compressed air, clean the bar groove and touch up the chain between every use. After learning to keep my saws sharp over the course of the past year, I cannot stand anything less anymore. And once I see oil on the front of the saw and not on the tip of the bar, I know it is long overdue to have the bar cleaned.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's one I gone tear down I use Jotun powder cleaner and steam wash it, I dont steam direct in the muffler or carb.

My firewood saws? Cleaning airfilter and thats it. They are tools. Could probleby be smart to wash them once a year though.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been looking for an economical way to fill a parts cleaner someone gave me. Reading labels on stuff blows your mind about what these different solvents will attack. Among those, I've heard Purple Power is bad for aluminum. I imagine that's if you let it soak in it. Everything has a trade-off but whats the safest that cleans best at the best price? (Almost like starting an oil thread, ain't it?)

Parts Washer, Diesel.
Ultrasonic Cleaner, Simple Green and Water.

Joe

295 tramp

Hillbilly Saws
Local time
9:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Parts Washer, Diesel.
Ultrasonic Cleaner, Simple Green and Water.
I have to go a different route than flammable solvents, my garage is not heated in the winter full time. My basement is so that's why I use that
Super Clean, that way there are no vapors and it leaves my hands smelling like Palmolive spring flowers:ladiesman:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I mostly just blow off saws I'm using. Saws I'm tearing down, I clean the parts after disassembly in my parts washer with a putty knife, brush, Scotch Brite and small screwdriver (I use Jet A-1 as a solvent) and then blow the parts off.
I keep an old paintbrush in my saw tool kit to brush off around the fuel/oil caps before removing them.

Brian Simonseth

CANCER AND STROKES SUCKS
Local time
7:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
If im flipping a saw it just gets blowing off but if im keeping it it goes down to the crankshaft then purple stuff then into a dish washer so they look like this

20160118_163342_resized_zpskhkh7rkk.jpg

IMAG0068_zps442fbf47.jpg

If my saws get ran all day I'll spend a good hour cleaning them when I get home :)