High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

How Picky Are You?

295 tramp

Hillbilly Saws
Local time
1:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
When you find a saw that you know is going to become part of your collection, how picky are you when you break it down to clean? Do you tear it down all the way, just blow the dust off, or nothing at all?
Myself I am very meticulous and methodical about tearing down, cleaning and reassemble.
Even most saws that I sale, if I say it's been completely tore down and cleaned thoroughly you can bet that every crack, crevasse, nut, bolt and so on has been soaked, picked and brushed clean.
Maybe I have some sort of OCD, because if it's going to become mine it's spotless until I put it to work.

Here is a prime example of what I mean.
I came upon this saw 2 days ago. When I first saw it I could tell that the paint was pretty good for it's age.
This is a top handle S-10 Stihl. To me it has to be the best condition 1107 or 1108 series that I have come across.
This 1 owner saw was kept in a box that the mans father built for it around 1967. there was a 1/2" to 3/4" thick saw dust and pine pitch covering the whole saw. I was amazed how the paint held up, the thick coating of junk is what preserved it. there's even factory paint still on the cylinder base and fins. Notice the flat area where the bar adjustment screw goes there's a E and a upside down B stamped in the case I wonder if that was a quality control stamp.
20160218_223854.jpg 20160218_223926.jpg 20160218_224007.jpg 20160218_224035.jpg 20160218_224106.jpg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
2:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty ridiculous.

I have a tough time not cleaning everything.

Some of it comes from my old home brewing hobby. You clean the outside of a container because dirt outside has a knack of finding its way inside.

I've found PPG urethane to be a good match for Stihl white. I'll have to look at my container. It's a factory ford color as well. Single stage.

A pint can paint 50 saws. Once it hardens, it's almost as tough as powder coat.

sefh3

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it's my saw or a saw I'm flipping it get cleaned. All parts are cleaned and inspected. Power Purple in the parts washer does a great job. Once all the dirt is off it makes you look closer for stress cracks or wear.
Nice looking 08 case. I know its a picture but how are the crank bearings. They look rusted.

295 tramp

Hillbilly Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The bearings are fine. Their stained like the saw ran rich it's whole life. They would probably look like new if I would let it soak longer in the tank.
I took it easy on the soak time because I was worrying about the paint. I use that Super Clean 2 gallons of that to 6 gallons of water.
I find if I clean most of the heavy and thick gunk before the soak, I can usually do 6 to 7 saws before the swap out.
That Super Clean I get it at Wally World for under 9.00 a gallon.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
4:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to clean it out well after a days use.
I only cut firewood so they dont get used often, but when they do get used, I like to pull all the covers and hit it with compressed air to get all the crap out.

The 2nd hand saws i have bought usually have a lot of corrosion and pitting to the case and sprocket cover due to lack of cleaning
I like to remove the clutch and sprocket after a days work and clean/grease where appropriate.

IMO, the most neglected area is behind the chain brake cover

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I am a cleaner… its my start point on a service or if its a saw I'm doing for myself. Cant abide working on things that have so many small parts that Must ! not get crud in them. Taking a carb off is so much better if there isn't crap that falls in where crap shouldn't be. I have a good look around for dampness on gasket unions while I'm doing this to spot air leeks as well. Like a lot of you after using your saws ,mine get a blast over and through with the air line…it doesn't take long . Air cooled engines needs "AIR", so a crud covered saw is a Hot running saw i believe and not so good for sweet running IMO. :)

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been looking for an economical way to fill a parts cleaner someone gave me. Reading labels on stuff blows your mind about what these different solvents will attack. Among those, I've heard Purple Power is bad for aluminum. I imagine that's if you let it soak in it. Everything has a trade-off but whats the safest that cleans best at the best price? (Almost like starting an oil thread, ain't it?)

295 tramp

Hillbilly Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree on giving them a blast of air after a day of work. I'm not as picky once I get the saw built But I clean the air filter area and clutch area and clean the bar grove on a chain swap out.

295 tramp

Hillbilly Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
With mixing a 1 to 3 ratio of that Super Clean it will irritate you skin if it splashes on you.
And It does turn aluminum and magnesium a dark gray if you leave it in long .
I have a plastic type wire wheel that's easy on soft metal and will shine it back up.

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe some air once in a while but clean the air filters all the time. Its a tool and tools get dirty.

Last edited:

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When you find a saw that you know is going to become part of your collection, how picky are you when you break it down to clean? Do you tear it down all the way, just blow the dust off, or nothing at all?
Myself I am very meticulous and methodical about tearing down, cleaning and reassemble.
Even most saws that I sale, if I say it's been completely tore down and cleaned thoroughly you can bet that every crack, crevasse, nut, bolt and so on has been soaked, picked and brushed clean.
Maybe I have some sort of OCD, because if it's going to become mine it's spotless until I put it to work.

Here is a prime example of what I mean.
I came upon this saw 2 days ago. When I first saw it I could tell that the paint was pretty good for it's age.
This is a top handle S-10 Stihl. To me it has to be the best condition 1107 or 1108 series that I have come across.
This 1 owner saw was kept in a box that the mans father built for it around 1967. there was a 1/2" to 3/4" thick saw dust and pine pitch covering the whole saw. I was amazed how the paint held up, the thick coating of junk is what preserved it. there's even factory paint still on the cylinder base and fins. Notice the flat area where the bar adjustment screw goes there's a E and a upside down B stamped in the case I wonder if that was a quality control stamp.
View attachment 11969 View attachment 11970 View attachment 11971 View attachment 11972 View attachment 11973
Depending on if it's going to be a shelf queen or runner. I have a hard time with keeping saws spotless case il grab any given saw and run it and work it. I guess the more clean the saw the the nicer it looks. I keep my zip pretty clean I concentrate more on what can stain like exhaust spatter and clean that up more after it is used than the dust. But every one of my saws does get attacked with the air hose before or after any use even my daily runners. I do make sure filters, brake bands and cooling system stays clean. It's general practice

295 tramp

Hillbilly Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I clean my tools after using them.Do a wipe down then hit them with air.Sharpen then there ready for another day of use.
I'm the same way. I don't do a complete tear down after every use, just at the beginning. On my go to fire wood saws I do a thorough cleaning at the end of the season