High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How many wheelbarrow loads are in a cord?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Never tried fatwood but a good handful of noodling noodles make for some good firestarter.

grandparents back in the day used chainsaw dust mixed with used motor oil, probably frowned on today.:rolleyes:

wonder if a person compressed saw dust mixed with melted paraffin wax and formed into cubes what the profit margin would equal:thinking:.

I think @Wolverine does something like that?
There’s a pretty good thread about homemade fire starters over on fhc:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It takes me 14 wheelbarrow loads to empty my truck when its carefully packed tight with split firewood. I generally pack the truck with 70 cu ft of hardwood. Therefore, each wheelbarrow averages 5 cu ft. Divide that into 128 cu ft per full cord and I get 25.6 wheelbarrow loads per cord.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This actually is brilliant, and a far better deal than the bundles, which have crept up to $8-$9 around here. Even in Walmart. I've always been amazed that folks even buy those small bundles. The wheelbarrow idea is a nice size/option that hardly anyone is addressing.

Some nice processing advantages for the seller. No buying and filling the bundles. No delivery either. Customer opens the hatch or trunk on their vehicle and drives away. And the buyer gets what could be described as a weekends worth of wood, which would play well in a lot of places. Both sides win.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This actually is brilliant, and a far better deal than the bundles, which have crept up to $8-$9 around here. Even in Walmart. I've always been amazed that folks even buy those small bundles. The wheelbarrow idea is a nice size/option that hardly anyone is addressing.

Some nice processing advantages for the seller. No buying and filling the bundles. No delivery either. Customer opens the hatch or trunk on their vehicle and drives away. And the buyer gets what could be described as a weekends worth of wood, which would play well in a lot of places. Both sides win.
short weekend and or small fires maybe. ;)

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, definitely not a 3 day weekend. And maybe not round the clock burning in a stove. But a heaped wheelbarrow like these would go 24hrs in my stove. Those little bundles are all gone in a couple hours. Why not just burn the money itself?

The deal here is thinking outside the box. Or outside the bundle. :) A lot of people copy the gas station model and sell the same quantity of wood in a self serve stand at the end of their driveway. And many of them would shy away from changing anything because that wheelbarrows amount of wood brings more money in the smaller bundles. But the point is that everybody is selling the same size package for the same price. Breaking the mold and offering something different, that the gas stations and convenience stores aren't, is the genius here.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My grandmother who was tough as a nail used corn cobs dunked in a coffee can full of kerosine as a fire starter . That was in times corn was picked on the cob and shelled when it was sold resulting in plenty of cobs .That tough old bird was splitting firewood at past 80 years old . Fired two stoves with wood during the day and lump Ohio coal at night . That old farm house was always nice and toasty .Went through about a ton of coal at 8-$12 a ton ,the wood was free because I cut a lot of it for her as a teenager with a Mac 250 that was brand new at that time .< that shows my age .

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My grandmother who was tough as a nail used corn cobs dunked in a coffee can full of kerosine as a fire starter . That was in times corn was picked on the cob and shelled when it was sold resulting in plenty of cobs .That tough old bird was splitting firewood at past 80 years old . Fired two stoves with wood during the day and lump Ohio coal at night . That old farm house was always nice and toasty .Went through about a ton of coal at 8-$12 a ton ,the wood was free because I cut a lot of it for her as a teenager with a Mac 250 that was brand new at that time .< that shows my age .
Almost had me rolling on the ground:jaja-no: until I got to the part about using them as firestarter.:facepalm: