High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

how about a Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX,+IA GTG thread?

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
9:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any of you fine fellers have a good recipe for whole chicken on the grill/BBQ/smoker?

Sam's got steaks figured out pretty well, but I'm wanting him to get to making some good chicken as well.

This is the machine we have.....(using wood of course).

View attachment 430919
Whole chicken... skin on...

Brush with oil...

Coat with seasoned salt..

Cook with wood at 300 ish degrees till meat thermometer reads 190 at the deepest point...

If you really want to get fancy, you soak that chicken in a salt brine for 24 hours before cooking it.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whole chicken... skin on...

Brush with oil...

Coat with seasoned salt..

Cook with wood at 300 ish degrees till meat thermometer reads 190 at the deepest point...

If you really want to get fancy, you soak that chicken in a salt brine for 24 hours before cooking it.
A whole chicken is a fantastic thing to cook. It’s really hard to ruin them.
Thanks, will see how he does.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Golly that looks good!
My best ones yet, imo. Lots of compliments today. I have to give credit to a friend that makes his own rub; it is very good imo; the best I have used. He does a lot of Big cooks for people and organizations. Lots of experience. His rub is fantastic

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Details about the Rub?

Do you smoke it in the aluminum pan?
Details on the rub cannot be given, because I don't have any. He gives me a bottle, I say thank you, I don't ask questions. He keeps the recipe to himself. It is different, which is why people notice it.

I do not smoke the whole time in aluminum pan. Once the internal temperature of the meat gets to about 160, 6-8 hours after the start, the meat goes in the pan and gets wrapped in foil, goes back into the smoker (or oven) to finish to an internal temp of 195, around 2 hours later. At 195, you can take the meat out and let it rest. OR, after talking to Matt yesterday, turn the temp down to 195 and let the meat sit and break down further without over cooking (anywhere from 1-4 hours depending on serving time); about 1 hour before serving time, take the meat out for a rest period.

I started mine at 4am, cooked until 4pm, let the meat rest until 5 pm. I had to turn my heat down in the middle of the cook to get a longer cook time because I was going to finish too early. I still finished early. But, Once the internal temp got to 195, I did as Matt said, put it in the oven at 195, until about an hour before serving time. I think that extra time at 195 makes a more tender, more flavorful product.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Morning folks.
75f for last nights low and 92f or so a bit later. If the breeze stays up a bit like yesterday it won't be to bad.
It was easy to get stuffs done, with the biggest challenge being chasing the shady spot.