Heating Bearings in Microwave

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The sparks you would see. Easy for the wet paper towel to absorb the wave before it hits the bearing.

I’m wondering if I could fit case halves in a microwave, lol.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
11:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know the early microwave ovens couldn't handle anything metallic. Has that changed?
Nope

I myself have never seen a microwave that you could put metallic items in.
Wrapped in wet rags
Many have metal grills and grates in them. I’m not sure what makes a metal item “microwave safe” and what doesn’t.
Only can use the metal grates when used on the convection oven settings, not the regular microwave

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope

Wrapped in wet rags

Only can use the metal grates when used on the convection oven settings, not the regular microwave
Not true buddy. I’ve got two convection microwaves here with metal grates. Can use with any feature.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aluminum is what I think is bad to put in microwaves I think?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not true buddy. I’ve got two convection microwaves here with metal grates. Can use with any feature.
So you can put a fork or spoon in those with no issues?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it has something to do with the thickness of the metal. I've seen a guy warm up a can of green beans in a mw with no issues. I also nuke a half pot of coffee occasionally. The pot has a stainless band around it. But I've seen the lightning show from aluminum foil as well.
My biggest concern would be the hotspots from a microwave. It would suck if your brand new oem bearing retainer was laying in a puddle under the bearing when you thought it was hot enough

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My new microwave says you can put “small” amounts of metal inside. I had to try it out and first tried a stainless spoon. No sparky. Then tried a large stainless bowl. No sparks either.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try a smooth metal object...like a spoon, or a bowl. No sparky...now try something with sharp edges...or metal that is close to touching, like a fork, or some crumpled aluminum...sparky sparky light show!!

The points of the metal allow voltages to concentrate, until the dielectric strength of the surrounding air is no longer an insulator, allowing an arc.

A bearing will likely spark because of the different metals...depending on where the spark happens, would likely cause damage to part of the bearing. May not be a critical part...but I am fairly sure arcing metal causes damage. Lol.

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I remember putting a penny into a microwave back around 1980, and you could get it red hot...with lots of sparks. Nowadays, pennies are zinc clad with copper, so maybe it doesn't work anymore. Dunno.

A bearing will likely spark because of the different metals...depending on where the spark happens, would likely cause damage to part of the bearing. May not be a critical part...but I am fairly sure arcing metal causes damage. Lol.

When you weld on a car or a machine, arcing through the bearings is one of the dangers you specifically want to avoid, and you place your work clamp deliberately and specifically to preclude this happening, mainly by locating the work clamp as close as possible to where you plan to weld ...

Putting a bearing into a Radarange sounds like a great way to get arcing going on inside it...in fact, I can't think of a better way to get arc strikes inside the bearing, short of whacking it with a TIG torch or stick electrode, or jacking it up with some jumper cables.

Why not heat bearings with – I dunno – an air-carbon arc gouging rig? Or how bout an oxylance?
dizzy.gif

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well my two cents worth..

The wet towel would not heat the metal before water evaporates, in the vid, he puts it in then it switch’s to another vid. We do not see the heating of the intire vid. Just maybe it worked ? and he wets the towel again.and again...

I had a micro wave with a metal turntable it was covered in enamel. It had metal sides but I guess it was not in the direction of said microwaves. But the enamel turntable must have done somthing else. But it did get a little warm. In the manual. It said about it gettin chipped and replacements avalible.

I guess it’s time for someone to debunk the story,with wet towels

I get the bearings in boiling water and water evaporates thou...;)
I could almost just get maybe bearings in water then in the mv.. but not wet rag/towels..

Last edited: