Heating Bearings in Microwave

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Air is a natural electrical insulator but can be broken down or "jumped", which is what happens when an object with a sharp edge such as a fork or sheet of foil is inside an microwave. The electrons inside the metal begin to move or flow inside the metal object. As they move faster and faster they "hit" the hard edges and if fast enough, can jump from one point to another. This "jump" breaks down the air, hence the visible spark.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Can I borrow your microwave?

This dude does a lot of stuff I've never seen. I'm gonna give it a whirl next time I get a chance at work.
You might want to reconsider possibly giving that expensive bearing a steam bath.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
microwaves like short gaps to arc! Smooth edges don’t promote sparks! I have seen four things on fire in a microwave
1: a popcorn container with the plastic wrapper still intact
2: my first microwave fire, nuragrain bar with a foil wrapper, I was 8, thought it was a good idea!
3: my brother wicrowaved mac Donald’s and there was a foil wrapped package
4: two years ago a tried drying out a wet set of house plans, they were almost dry, but not quite....so I put it in a little longer and it actually caught on fire....zero metal involved

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You might want to reconsider possibly giving that expensive bearing a steam bath.

Oops I didnt mean to add that pic lol, the guys that installed that used a nifty induction heater.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's other methods of heating bearings .Usually in the case of a chainsaw you're trying to heat the inner race so it can slip over the crankshaft .One method is to use a large soldering iron .I'm not talking about something like an induction Weller,an iron that has a bit copper tip .It's the method Stihl suggests .
I have a collection of large irons mostly "American beauty " one is 750 watts that takes a half hour to heat up that I can solder a radiator with if I want .It's too large ,I use a 250 watt .--old school Al---

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Science experiment by school in IIRC Oregon?? bought 24 identical plants. 12 were watered by water brought to boil on stove (after it cooled). 12 were watered by water boiled in microwave (after It cooled). All 12 watered with microwave water died. Same growing conditions. Hypothesis was the molecular structure was changed when superheated by MW. Will it do the same to bearings? Food for thought. After reading that article no more MW for me.
Shep

Jesus H. Malmsteen, Shep how are we gonna thin the population down to an acceptable level with people spreading these fallacies across our beloved web.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is nothing nuclear about microwaves , radio waves cause heating, nothing different than heating something up in a conventional oven. Cell phones towers and Wi-Fi transmit just slightly different radio waves that don't cause heating. Microwaves are okay because the waves stay in the box, Wi-Fi systems and cell phone towers may or may not cause harm long term, which is why every cell phone comes with the warning to hold it at least 10mm away from your head lol. The type of things people worry about microwaves do is quite funny to me, because only slightly different waves are going through our bodies 24/7 nowadays.[emoji111]

I would say heating the bearings up in a microwave would save some of the plastic in some of the bearings used in saws.

I know a lot of folks in Ireland terrified of MW ovens. Many do not not own them. Then, during the summer, the moment the sun pokes out, they will all run to lay under or otherwise bask in it for hours. They are doing science completely wrong. But YOU try and explain ionizing radiation to them. Good luck.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When i was yound i cought a big bumble bee. Put his ass in the microwave on high. Watched him fly around till he suddenly landed popped and bursted in flames. My god did that mw stink after that.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a PBS show, Nova I think, that showed a company that wanted to make a microwavable hot fudge Sunday. The trick was how to shield the ice cream and only melt the fudge. A metal wrapper with attention to not having edges on it was the design that worked. So yes, metal, if configured properly, can indeed be used in a microwave oven.