• Total voters

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree. I have hydraulics, but as long as whatever I'm working on will start to bust apart within 3-4 strokes, I just use the Fiskars.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Al. Understandable for sure.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well my days of axe swinging did me well .I was a high school baseball player and batted number 4 in the line up ,clean up position power hitter .Problem was I never got a level swing down good ..It would go a mile but back in those days there were no fences and they just played back on me .It could be a homer or just a long fly out . I might get the 100 plus year old hand forged 5 pound axe out in a day or two and give it a few wacks .I've got some cherry and basswood sliced up and it splits fairly easy . The one ash log dry as a bone does not .About like smacking a rock that one .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a big wind blown dead ash that's a dandy .EAB got it ,100 footer about 3 feet in diameter .I'm going to need to take my ropes,cable come- a-longs etc to rig that one. Those big fat limbs can be dangerous ,you might get crushed if one rolls loose on you .Better safe than sorry .

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well my days of axe swinging did me well .I was a high school baseball player and batted number 4 in the line up ,clean up position power hitter .Problem was I never got a level swing down good ..It would go a mile but back in those days there were no fences and they just played back on me .It could be a homer or just a long fly out . I might get the 100 plus year old hand forged 5 pound axe out in a day or two and give it a few wacks .I've got some cherry and basswood sliced up and it splits fairly easy . The one ash log dry as a bone does not .About like smacking a rock that one .
Picture of this axe. Well cause you know we like pictures and stuff

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Al. Be careful.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I try to be a nice guy but it's supposed to be 5 above come morning time . I have to trot off to the store on a honey do list much before lady fair arises .I'll try to get a picture of "Excalibur " plus the double bit cruiser I split wood with as a kid when it warms up .Damn I hate cold weather ,humbug

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that cold weather it's kind of funny .Back when I worked construction I was about like the avatar picture .Six feet tall and between 210-220 ..Come winter it was Arctic Carharts plus two layer below .I looked like lineman on the NFL at about 300 pounds .It was all fluff .:)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm on a roll bear with me .Here's what you do .Bottom to top .Bottom first .Womens panty hose ,high wool socks,Navy mickey mouse boots with the felt liners .moving up insulated long johns ,blue jeans then the Carharts .Moving right along .wool turtle neck sweater ,insulated flannel shirt ,shearling lamb vest,Carharts with a hood but wearing a navy wool watch cap .Take the liner out of the hard hat and just wear the brain bucket .I still hate it .

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm on a roll bear with me .Here's what you do .Bottom to top .Bottom first .Womens panty hose ,high wool socks,Navy mickey mouse boots with the felt liners .moving up insulated long johns ,blue jeans then the Carharts .Moving right along .wool turtle neck sweater ,insulated flannel shirt ,shearling lamb vest,Carharts with a hood but wearing a navy wool watch cap .Take the liner out of the hard hat and just wear the brain bucket .I still hate it .
Reminds me of the that movie, a Christmas story, "I can't put my arms down!" Lol

I sure don't miss the snow. @RI Chevy

What part of RI do you live? I have a buddy in Coventry.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We got snow coming Friday. Decent storm. 8" expected.
I live near URI. South County.

Ocean State

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We got snow coming Friday. Decent storm. 8" expected.
I live near URI. South County.

Ocean State
I lived in Somerset MA, closer to Tiverton. I know about where you are. Sorry about the snow. When I sold my house there, I left the some clearing equipment for the new owners. I don't need it here. We had a couple inches Monday morning, it went away by itself. I like that.

My buddy just bought a new snow blower to replace his two year old one because it has that joystick for the shute. Let me know if you need one and I will hook you up with him.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. I bought an Ariens snow blower back in 2003. It's still going strong. I gotta get it fired up today to prepare for tomorrow.

Reactions: Lnk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have not had enough snow in the last few years to even bother to remove it .Might sound funny but I just use a Stihl BR 400 back pack blower for the side walks etc .If it were to get deep and with a 5-600 foot driveway I have a Jeep CJ5 with a plow .Worst case an Oliver OC 6 crawler with a gasoline engine that will start at any temperature . It's up on rail road ties all tarped down ready for anything .

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I attempted to hand split this piece, no dice. I couldn't even get a crack started. Even using Al's suggested method of using the hydraulic lever it was being stubborn. I let it fall off of the splitter and it still hung together with strings20220104_161156.jpg . Must be hickory.