• Total voters

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not exactly sure. But I have always split green wood. Usually within a week after cutting.
I tried splitting dryed out rounds once. Much harder for me. So I just stick with what works for me.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What little splitting that I do by hand gets done right away, almost never season first.

Why is it easier?
The embedded moist helps split the grain apart!
Once the round dries out there will be air pockets between the grain which usually "cushion" the splitting force of the utilized ax or maul.

There are wood species's that split much easier seasoned/dry, but most split easier fresh bucked and green.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can make a comparison of splitting dried out and freshly bucked turkey oak rounds!

But I KNOW the fresh bucked rounds split like glass while the dried out rounds refuse to budge - utilizing the same splitting style and ax.
My old faithful "Dragon Slayer" is the s#it, I will stop hand splitting firewood if I ever end up loosing it for whatever reason!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't have the recent experience to comment on how dry wood splits compared to wet in terms of how easily the wood pops apart, but green of any kind has a tendency to get stringy from my experience. That means you may have to pull apart split pieces by hand, and in larger rounds it can be a pain because the whole round resists splitting more, and if it does split, it can take extra work to separate the halves. Strings in most varieties other than oak want to split in a zigzag pattern increasing splitting resistance.

I find that dry wood seems to be less flexible, so it doesn't let the splitting ax stick in like green wood. I also find that letting the cut rounds dry sufficiently forms splits that only need a little help to go all the way through without leaving strings, good for hickory and even elm. The ease of splitting on the cracks formed by drying can be increased by fungus getting in there. I just split some oak, still quite wet, but dry enough to have cracks. It popped apart even easier because fungus got in the cracks. The trees were cut this spring, so the fungus didn't do any damage other than grow in the cracks.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have also noticed differences in where different woods get stringy. I think red oak gets stringy in the middle, white at the outer part, and with different kinds of oak it just gets hard to remember. I often have to keep changing which side I split from with the hydraulic splitter as I go through different varieties.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the rated load on that Titan trailer?
Looks cool with those two axles.
Tires don't even show that there is any load on the trailer. :)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice! How are you liking that GB splitting maul?

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I like it very much. I splitt also bigger Wood with it and with wedges. for this now it is a bit to heavy, but it works good.