Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d like to have one of those if you ever find a smith to copy it
That will most likely never happen, nor do I see any chance of finding any for sale that will feature the same characteristics. :(

A local blacksmith won't even consider making axes, says there is no profit in it for him with the work it requires to replicate an ax head - the guy is making sword replica's for traditional shows, those just have to look the part without being able to withstand any stress.

I have since purchased three more axes featuring the same "design" just to be let down by their performance.
I am in a slow process of trying to convert one of those three ax heads to "be" like my Dragon Slayer, no idea how that will turn out.

@davidwyby , any progress on Your end? :)

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
2:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry can't help much from my point of view, mostly because I mostly deal with soft woods in North Idaho. Douglas fir splits real nice when green, but seems to harden up as it seasons. On other hand, Western larch, aka tamerack is very hard to split green, but in buckskin form it almost splits itself when you buck it due to large drying cracks.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Split 12 rounds today.
Only two knots will be noodled on half, not worth the effort trying to split them.

View attachment 322203 View attachment 322204

Great work mate & wise thinking on the knotty stuff!
Me & my baby brother wrestled with some dried-up super knotty shagbark on Christmas eve using his extraordinary DULL ax and we both were huffing/puffing like baby hippos! :argue::crybaby2:
I hate not having one of my saws or Friskars around when needed and trusting other folks' stuff!!:chuck:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great work mate & wise thinking on the knotty stuff!
Me & my baby brother wrestled with some dried-up super knotty shagbark on Christmas eve using his extraordinary DULL ax and we both were huffing/puffing like baby hippos! :argue::crybaby2:
I hate not having one of my saws or Friskars around when needed and trusting other folks' stuff!!:chuck:
When You go help someone with any kind of work, bring Your own tooling along so that at least You don't have to think about how to get the job done.
Don't bring out Your own tooling beforehand either, use it only if it will serve YOU!

Luckily our cast iron fireplace will take fairly big chunks, and it will burn a good amount of them too.
As such, two-three blows with the ax, if it doesn't split it gets noodled.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When You go help someone with any kind of work, bring Your own tooling along so that at least You don't have to think about how to get the job done.
Don't bring out Your own tooling beforehand either, use it only if it will serve YOU!

Luckily our cast iron fireplace will take fairly big chunks, and it will burn a good amount of them too.
As such, two-three blows with the ax, if it doesn't split it gets noodled.

I understand everything you're saying, but I didn't come to help out.
My brother sprung this on me as my Pop's and I were relaxing & listening to Matt Dillion tell another bad guy, "Don't be a fool!":2guns:

My brother is the perpetual cheapskate of the family.
Sent him a link to the Sthil website & cell number of the Local Stihl Tech.
I told him, I will advise from a distance once he makes an initial investment...outside of my tools/labor!
BTW---HAPPY NEW YEAR!:campeon::campeon2:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Happy New Year Reggie. Every family has one Reggie. They have no appreciation for your equipment or time.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Happy New Year! :borra2:

Looks the same like the old one to me, 2 hours and 20 minutes in now.

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having cabin fever and the second day of not getting above 0F, I went out and bucked up a the ash log. Hit the starter on the woodsplitter and it was a no-go. Grabbed the axe and was surprised how easy ash splits when it is cold out. I felt like a professional youtuber. This took about a half hour. My back is sore.
20220102_122407.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find it much easier to swing my 1.8kg ax with 40" handle than trying to move any of these rounds even a quarter inch, lest lift them onto a splitter.

IMG_20220103_162912.jpg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought about swinging the axe today as my usual easy starting splitter decided not to start for some reason .I have an idea the float is stuck in the carb, no fuel .So much for that at 25 degrees .

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ax needs no fuel, technically speaking! :D

If the ax doesn't work, kick the operator in his beehind. :p

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m gonna keep swinging too. I’ll pitch the bad stuff in a pile for the splitter. I used to cut those in half with a chainsaw or quarters. Whatever to get them in the stove.