• Total voters

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
4:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you end up deciding on a wood boiler?
Not yet, want to go to some dealers and check a few out before I sink money into another. Maybe they will have some deals this spring.

Still feeding boiler at the old place though. Saves on propane in this *s-wordty weather.

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I do a lot of both lol. I am outside year round doing it just to get out of the house. The stuff Im burning now was split a year ago, or in the way, or frozen Ash, I love splitting frozen Ash. I also like splitting sawmill flitches with my hatchet.

I feel spoiled right now with all these dead ash logs piling up. Check this monster out.....

Thats my weird carney hand on it lol.PXL_20210119_224724733.jpg

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not yet, want to go to some dealers and check a few out before I sink money into another. Maybe they will have some deals this spring.

Still feeding boiler at the old place though. Saves on propane in this *s-wordty weather.
I'm fairly happy with my heatmaster I think I'd be happier but my dealer kinda sucks, I had an aqua-therm at my old house.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do a lot of both lol. I am outside year round doing it just to get out of the house. The stuff Im burning now was split a year ago, or in the way, or frozen Ash, I love splitting frozen Ash. I also like splitting sawmill
I feel spoiled right now with all these dead ash logs piling up. Check this monster out.....

Thats my weird carney hand on it lol.View attachment 282349
Them big boys are work

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some kindling I made this week, should have enough for a while.
I utilized the pictured little ax, wood is turkey oak.

First load
DSC05247.JPG

Second load
DSC05262.JPG

The sum, sorted and stacked within the crates
DSC05264.JPG

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chopping block is turkey oak covered in dirty old black engine oil for protection.
For splitting rounds it sits directly on the ground for proper height.
When "stored" it gets lifted off the ground onto those concrete blocks which also accommodates easier kindling chopping as I can stand upright while splitting kindling.

We have one wood stove and one cast iron fireplace.
I estimate that we spend 4-6 crates full of kindling during one winter. But it is hard to estimate because I tend to replenish kindling when I encounter a nice straight grain piece of wood. That been said we use maybe 8-10 crates full of kindling in total counting every single piece.
It's not too much considering I restocked four crates full this week alone as a side occupation.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW, when I run out of kindling splits, I substitute strips of dry bark from elm, maple, or the berry woods after it peels off on its own. Usually that will ignite a fire almost as well as small splits and twigs. Just my 2 cents.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW, when I run out of kindling splits, I substitute strips of dry bark from elm, maple, or the berry woods after it peels off on its own. Usually that will ignite a fire almost as well as small splits and twigs. Just my 2 cents.
A neighbor is collecting twigs for kindling, says they dry fast and burn well.
I burn twigs and branches on a burn pile.

I only have oak & turkey oak bark, makes a lot of smoke and requires lots of air to burn.
I don't use it for kindling, but I like it to get oodles of heat fast once the fireplace and/or stove are lit.

I like the unform size of split kindling.
Every non uniform sized split gets used/disposed off immediately, only the uniform pieces get stacked for storage and later usage.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chopping block is turkey oak covered in dirty old black engine oil for protection.
For splitting rounds it sits directly on the ground for proper height.
When "stored" it gets lifted off the ground onto those concrete blocks which also accommodates easier kindling chopping as I can stand upright while splitting kindling.

We have one wood stove and one cast iron fireplace.
I estimate that we spend 4-6 crates full of kindling during one winter. But it is hard to estimate because I tend to replenish kindling when I encounter a nice straight grain piece of wood. That been said we use maybe 8-10 crates full of kindling in total counting every single piece.
It's not too much considering I restocked four crates full this week alone as a side occupation.

Man, that's awesome...a lot of knowledge packed into what you shared.
I run through a decent amount of kindling myself...been using some old pine logs and splitting then semi-tin and they work mighty fine!
The black oil is to keep the block from splintering or to stay solid?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, that's awesome...a lot of knowledge packed into what you shared.
I run through a decent amount of kindling myself...been using some old pine logs and splitting then semi-tin and they work mighty fine!
The black oil is to keep the block from splintering or to stay solid?
I like oak, ash and white willow because they split easy and straight the whole length.
Beech works too but it must be fresh otherwise it just chips out sideways when trying to make really thin kindling - it works great for semi-thin kindling though.
I made kindling out of conifer species before, too many knots for my liking - but it splits great if one gets a nice straight grain knot free piece.

The dirty old black engine oil protects the chopping block in numerous ways:
- it repels water and as such reduces the risk of the block cracking/splitting
- it repels bugs
- it keeps rot away

Repelling bugs and rot is the main intent!
Clean oil does not have those properties, I tried and it truly doesn't work!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yet another possibility. Whenever I deliver firewood to a customer, to myself, or haul big rounds for splitting, lots of bark chips fall off the rounds and are left behind in my pickup truck's bed. I sweep these out with a broom and a large dustpan and thus save them in a bin rather than blow them all away.

Wrapped in newspaper to make a kindling log, this lights the stove like a torch. I may have saved a half-dozen bushels this past year and lit close to a hundred top-down stove fires.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yet another possibility. Whenever I deliver firewood to a customer, to myself, or haul big rounds for splitting, lots of bark chips fall off the rounds and are left behind in my pickup truck's bed. I sweep these out with a broom and a large dustpan and thus save them in a bin rather than blow them all away.

Wrapped in newspaper to make a kindling log, this lights the stove like a torch. I may have saved a half-dozen bushels this past year and lit close to a hundred top-down stove fires.
Never tried the top down method. Do you always use it or does it just work better with that specific kindling