High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Hacks

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
8:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Growing up, "hack" was slang for shoddy work...a reckless craftsman...probably similar to the way you remember it.

Apparently in modern culture, a "hack" is a cool trick, shortcut, or using something for a purpose other than intended to accomplish a gainful result.

Well, here is my "hack" for the garage/shop.

I personally have a hard time with our culture's wasteful ways...the fact that we are a throwaway society. As such, I try and re-use/recycle as much as possible.

Packaging materials are everywhere thanks to our internet based marketplace. I like to use the airbags as storage bags for my saw parts during rebuilds and long-term storage.

20160223_183203-1.jpg

Just tear off a bag, cut the end with scissors or a razor knife, and organize your parts however your heart desires.

20160223_183422-1.jpg
Please share your "hacks" for the greater good of OPEFORUM and the environment.

SteveSS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Glad my wife isn't a member here, because I keep everything. Coffee cans, pill bottles, you name it.....if it can hold something else, I keep it. And it ends up taking up shelf space, unused, waiting for it's next assignment.

295 tramp

Hillbilly Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use a lot of plastic coffee cans. I started using the flats that oranges are packed in to ship saws there good padding.
I put one on the bottom and the sides and top plus lots of newspaper. the produce man saves them for me.
20160223_212638.jpg

darkimpulse

Firewood Hack
Local time
11:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't have any pics but in the winter here what I like to do is go to the dollar store and pickup one of those car windshield sunscreens (Thermal ones to block out the sun and keep your car cool in the summer). I take my insoles of my wood boots, trace and cutout the pattern. Then just put them on the bottom of my boot and put the insole back in. Works great to keep the cold out from the ground and heat in my boots.

SteveSS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't have any pics but in the winter here what I like to do is go to the dollar store and pickup one of those car windshield sunscreens (Thermal ones to block out the sun and keep your car cool in the summer). I take my insoles of my wood boots, trace and cutout the pattern. Then just put them on the bottom of my boot and put the insole back in. Works great to keep the cold out from the ground and heat in my boots.
I'll be trying this one for sure. Very cool.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I received a ported saw back recently and when I opened it he had stuck a dryer sheet in with the packaging so that instead of smelling like gas (which saws smell like even if you drain them and it sometimes gets your package held up at a far away postal station until you make arrangements to retrieve it) it smelled like freshly done laundry.

I have seen all sorts of packaging "hacks" to take up big voids in boxes when shipping saws, my favorite is a plastic rum bottle that now sits on a shelf in my shop :)

We recycle all sorts of packaging here, air bags, bubble wrap, the label backing from thermal labels makes great crumple packing, we even reuse peanuts as long as they are the static free variety, they cheap ones just stick to everything in the whole shop :(

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Plastic cat,dog,chicken feed sack makes good packing. I've had guys use the if it fits it ships boxes to take up space in a package. I shipped
a disassembled saw a while back with no packing. I just put the subassemblies in smaller boxes and used them to buffer the bigger parts.

Last edited:

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Plastic cat,dog,chicken feed sack makes good packing. I've had guys use the if it fits it ships boxes to take up space in a package. I shipping a disassembled saw a while back with no packing. I just put the subassemblies in smaller boxes and used them to buffer the bigger parts.
I tried that one time and after feeling like I had just lost back to back matches of Jenga and Tetris I ended up shipping 5 boxes to get 4 chainsaws to a guy :)

spencerpaving

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1e2d124446402e85ae57e6fa9688a60a.jpg
my first pipesaw....yep still a hack!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use dryer sheets for lots of things. I put them in my work boots to keep my feet from smelling, saddle bags on my bikes, suitcases when traveling or storage and when I'm reloading to keep the powder from sticking. I'm sure I'm missing a few things.

filtering out schputz from the cleaning solution I keep in the can "IN" the parts cleaner so I don't get the parts cleaning solution dirty.....

can you say OCD ?

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
smartass!