Tecomec Chain Repair Master - Spinner / Breaker

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A while back, I was given the opportunity to try the Tecomec Chain Repair Master, combined spinner / breaker. This tool is unique, due to it's horizontal alignment, and dual function: it is not just a spinner welded to a breaker, but both functions are integrated into the same tool. It seemed like a compact alternative to having separate tools, especially for field work.

Screen shot 2020-03-03 at 12.54.15 PM.png

As received, it is a bit larger than expected (the main body is approximately 8 inches long. Mine did not have the handle shown in the photo above), and included many parts; there are separate breaker anvils for each pitch of chain, along with 2 spinning anvil sets, and a couple of hex wrenches to install and remove the anvils from the tool body. I made a mock up of an organizer out of styrofoam, and clearly labeled everything to keep then straight (the stamped numbers on some parts were hard to read). I mounted the tool to a wood base, so that I could clamp it to different work locations; added some initial padding to the handle (eventually gluing on a plastic, golf ball-sized knob at the end); replaced the hex screw on the clear guard with a wing nut, to make this easier; and a few other fussy things to make it easier to use.

IMG_3014.jpg

I also found the correct thread bolt to hold everything in place when removing the spinner handle for transport or storage, and a cheap wrench to keep with the set for this purpose.

IMG_3008.jpg

It is a well made tool, but not as convenient as having a conventional spinner / breaker set. Alignment of the breaker anvils is important. Applying pressure horizontally takes more muscle force than pulling down, where you can use your body weight. Keeping track of all of the small parts can be a challenge (conventional breakers have a single anvil that will work with multiple pitch chains). And change over from breaker to spinner to form loops takes more time than having separate tools set up, unless, perhaps, you are working in a batch mode.

Overall, I am confident that I can break and spin a variety of chains with the Chain Repair Master. The modifications described make it significantly easier to use. It could be a good option for a workshop with limited space, for compact storage, and for portable use.

I am more familiar with a conventional spinner and breaker set, and feel that I have more control when centering the chain rivets, using the stand-alone, vertical breaker press. The conventional breaker also allows the use of an adjustable anvil for universal fit, even on worn tie straps. Given the choice, especially with the near identical price, I would choose the conventional, 2-piece spinner and breaker set for most situations.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interestingly, I found a heavy duty, GB spinner, and separate breaker, that operate in a similar manner for harvester chains.

Screen shot 2020-03-03 at 12.58.26 PM.png

Also, attached, are the user instructions for the Tecomec Chain Master, for reference as a PDF.

Philbert

Attachments

• Chain Repair Master OM.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I look at the shaft stub (the tapered portion) where the breaker handle fits and wonder if a larger diameter end could be utilized.
A larger diameter would allow for more than one hole and resulting handle positions.
My thinking is that you insert the handle at an over center position (9:30~10:30 clock position) so as to be starting downward.
You'll run out of travel of course (due to interference with the tool body), so You make a partial stroke and then re-position the handle into the next hole.

Let's not forget to drill through holes, as blind ones will just collect debris
and lead to a strip-out problem.

Of course then we have to train users to properly re-insert the handle end into the hole each time or everything just gets rounded off and wallowed out.
Somehow, I suspect the users not properly working the hole change would be death of that model option.

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The piston / press portion of this tool is spring loaded, so it returns to the starting position when pressure is released. From 0° to 90° it is mostly zero force positioning: the open space is needed for installing and removing the anvils, punches, etc. The handle can, I believe, be switched to the other side for Right / Left hand preference.

Philbert