options and opinions on a destroyed Stihl MS251

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My new neighbor is from Myanmar and does not have a good command of the English language. That is okay, I can’t pronounce his first or last name so that makes us even :-D

He decided to cut down some pine trees in his front yard and bought a brand new MS-251 Woodboss. It worked well for the first tank or two because ...

as far as I can tell he filled both the oil and gas tank with straight gas. The local dealer he bought it from said it was ruined.

Here are the pictures I took:

eraseme01.jpg

eraseme02.jpg

It does still have 110# of compression. I can not really see any rings left. My concern is not only does it need a cyl – piston – rings, if I get it apart and it needs a crankshaft and bearings, the cost of the parts might equal close to a new one.

New
MS-251 woodboss
$350 x 1.07 = $374.50

Cylinder Kit 44mm for Stihl MS251 Replaces 1143-020-1207
https://www.hlsproparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=H30252&CartID=1
Sale Price: $48.99
Part #: H30252

Crankshaft fits Stihl MS231, MS251 replaces 1143 030 0401
https://www.hlsproparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=H35251&CartID=2

Our Price: $80.99
Part #: H35251

So, that is $130 without bearings, seals, etc. Add another $50 for all that and we are up to $180. Without my labor included.

Since FarmerTec still owes me for the mis-drilled piston I posted about two years ago, I do not feel all that good ordering one of their piston kits (though all my HLS orders have been fine) or a complete saw or kit directly from FarmerTec like last time.

Think I should just be brutally honest and say the aftermarket replacement parts cost at least ½ or more then the saw is new and you made a $400 mistake and it is a total loss, just like the dealer said?

Is there any way possible to fix this thing cheap, without me buying special tools for the MS251, when the only STIHL saws I am likely to own is my 660 clone and a new STIHL 500i?

The OTHER big thing is I have noticed on most of the recent Stihl saws, especially the cheaper ones, they have literally dozens or over a 100 negative reviews, mostly about not starting.

The MS251 has 92 one and two star reviews and a great many are about not starting. I do not know if this is why Stihl went Northern Tools, to dump shoddy product or if going the Northern Tool route has resulted in shoddy product. But, I do not want to fix the thing and have it haunt me because of OEM defects.

Any option (post too log …) or options I missed?

Attachments

• eraseme01.jpg
    eraseme01.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 44
  • eraseme02.jpg
    eraseme02.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 42

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't even start listing individual parts, tell Your neighbor he needs a complete engine block.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-ST...042545?hash=item5b8ce80fb1:g:9uEAAOSwk3lfN88L

Immediately include Your labor in Your price calculation and let him decide whether it's worth to him.
Stress the fact that the replacement engine is NOT OEM and therefore holds next to no warranty.

Don't even bother giving him a price for a fix with OEM parts, he'd be better off buying a new saw in that case.

From what You wrote he has no business running a chainsaw anyway.
You will be better off not fixing his trashed saw and rather have him buy a new one - odds are he'll fry the saw again either way anyway!
I'd steer clear of fixing anything for him!

Last edited:

SimonHS

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OTHER big thing is I have noticed on most of the recent Stihl saws, especially the cheaper ones, they have literally dozens or over a 100 negative reviews, mostly about not starting.

A lot of people (homeowners etc.) don't know how to start a saw!

It's a wonder your neighbour didn't set himself on fire with mix spewing out of the oiler!

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of people (homeowners etc.) don't know how to start a saw!

It's a wonder your neighbour didn't set himself on fire with mix spewing out of the oiler!

Yes, I wondered how he managed that myself, because metal on metal would have caused heat and spark.

I suspect that what probably stopped the saw, since he still has 110# psi is he accidentally put the gas into the oil and the oil into the gas on the last tank. Both tanks are very clean, no oil in either of them, and smell like gas. Really no way to really know. I do know he ran straight gas.

My friend gave him a quote of $1200 to do the tree job, take away (chip) the branches, and I would keep the (pine) wood for firewood to make the job cheap, since I burn anything in my stove.

He left himself such an insurmountable mess in his front yard, I ended up buying a nice chipper 200 miles out of state, hauling it home, finish repairing it, and having him and his two friends feed ME branches and slash almost six hours straight to chip the branches. Plus, we hauled the branches into my front yard because mine is bigger and level. You can bet I did not let them feed the top hopper of that bad boy or the chipper. I did let him chip maybe two straight branches under my supervision, so, he felt like he did something.

I still have a small pile of chipped stuff left in my yard and have been using it for mulch in the back yard.

I bought a used SC183, the thing is a brute, compared to my old Kemp Model 8 which I regrettably sold. The Kemp was awesome with the drum and finger flail and made me money.

https://www.mackissicchippers.com/hitochsh.html

The Mackissic is an awesome chipper. I always liked the MerryMac - Kemp model chippers on the four wheels, and keep an eye out for older ones with the drum-fingers to repair or keep.

On a positive note, I know my neighbor much better and ended up with an awesome chipper, that I never would have bought otherwise.

Attachments

• eraseme03.jpg
    eraseme03.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 33
  • eraseme04.jpg
    eraseme04.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 32

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe a battery powered saw is more his speed. All kidding aside, if he only has a few trees, he’d be money ahead looking for a good used saw and chalk this up as a learning experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, I feel bad entirely trashing a new Stihl saw, but, maybe someone that repairs it can use at least the bar and chain. Maybe like my other neighbor, tell him to buy a Kobalt with a five year warranty so when it does die, he is covered for five years. Though I have been happy with my HF 80v pagan Atlas chainsaw, blower, and now string trimmer.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't even start listing individual parts, tell Your neighbor he needs a complete engine block.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-ST...042545?hash=item5b8ce80fb1:g:9uEAAOSwk3lfN88L

Immediately include Your labor in Your price calculation and let him decide whether it's worth to him.
Stress the fact that the replacement engine is NOT OEM and therefore holds next to no warranty.

Don't even bother giving him a price for a fix with OEM parts, he'd be better off buying a new saw in that case.

From what You wrote he has no business running a chainsaw anyway.
You will be better off not fixing his trashed saw and rather have him buy a new one - odds are he'll fry the saw again either way anyway!
I'd steer clear of fixing anything for him!
Thank you for finding that on E-Bay. That is a viable option, wonder how I missed that :-D