FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My friend offered to build me one of these
For less than 500.00 View attachment 402291View attachment 402292View attachment 402293
He's getting the correct smooth bolt without the forward assist cutouts.

Uhm, what armory did he steal it from? :babeando: Seriously, how did he do that for $500.00? I have that much in my Anderson M16-A4 copy but only because I got the upper on clearance from a place that was going out of business. Could he build a Colt 635 lookalike 9mm carbine for that price?

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know of a place I can find open sights for a mini 14? I hate the peep type aperture rear sights, don’t want to scope it, just want regular old iron sights. So far have not been able to find any.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would call Williams Gunsight in Michigan. If anybody had the sights, it would be them.

I used to shoot really good with peeps, but I find barrel mounted open sights work better these days.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I’ll give them a try

Reactions: Lnk

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a sweet Winchester 94 that rolled off the line the same year I did. Unfortunately, the rear sight dovetail is cut way crooked. I've fixed many a dovetail in my time, and I have filed it as much as I dare to no avail. I suppose I'll have to just put a filler blank in it and have a new dovetail cut.

The rifle is a top eject, and I do have a side scope mount for it. Of course, a side mount is less than ideal but it does allow you to still use sights quite easily. I would love to go back to just using a receiver sight, but then I would be limiting myself to 60 yards or so. I'm planning to practice with my .22s a lot this year so maybe I can eventually stretch that out. If I could get minute of deer at 100 yards I would be more than content.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know of a place I can find open sights for a mini 14? I hate the peep type aperture rear sights, don’t want to scope it, just want regular old iron sights. So far have not been able to find any.
A ghost ring sight is the quickest, and most accurate hunting sight. It must be mounted on the rear of the receiver. Your eye naturally will center things. All you do is look through the hole and focus on the front sight. I suspect you had an aperture that is really small, which is great for close in precision. But not fast.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A ghost ring sight is the quickest, and most accurate hunting sight. It must be mounted on the rear of the receiver. Your eye naturally will center things. All you do is look through the hole and focus on the front sight. I suspect you had an aperture that is really small, which is great for close in precision. But not fast.
It actually looks big, like so big I feel there would be no accuracy. I haven’t even shot it yet, just want to get something I’m used to already. I have zero problems with regular iron sights. May end up trying a red dot type just wanted to stay away from batteries and delicate optics. My intent for this one was a rugged truck gun

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It actually looks big, like so big I feel there would be no accuracy. I haven’t even shot it yet, just want to get something I’m used to already. I have zero problems with regular iron sights. May end up trying a red dot type just wanted to stay away from batteries and delicate optics. My intent for this one was a rugged truck gun
Try the ghost ring, you will be amazed at how easy it is. Trying to line up three things in three planes is hard, harder or impossible when older. I can still shoot irons with rear peep well. I ignore the rear peep. I let the target be blurry and keep my focus on the front sight post. Almost feels like cheating. Though that is getting a bit harder to be precise due to eyesight. I use dot sights much more now. And scopes. Good luck.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This exactly. There was a learning curve with peeps for me but now that I’m used to them I love them especially when we could use mini-14’s
They banned mini 14's in Canada, but not sks's?

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too many sks for them to ban. Sks and 303’s are like litter in rural Ontario. Good dependable rifles but there’s just a pile of them around

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you guys know much about the red dot sights? Like what’s a good brand to start with, I think if I do go that route I’d want a real low profile unit. Other than that I’m clueless. Never had any

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you guys know much about the red dot sights? Like what’s a good brand to start with, I think if I do go that route I’d want a real low profile unit. Other than that I’m clueless. Never had any
Sig Romeo gets good reviews. Good on battery life too it seems. After being still for a bit it shuts itself off, wakes up when the rifle moves. I have a few vortex strikefires, not low profile though. Look at the sigs, they won't break the bank either.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Canada has banned pretty much everything but pea shooters.
That is pretty sad. Can you have a scoped bolt action up there? If I was a wanna be dictator, those are the ones I would worry about. Lol

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
most semi auto centerfire and all pistols can no longer be bought but still owned. Everything else I can own/buy

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is pretty sad. Can you have a scoped bolt action up there? If I was a wanna be dictator, those are the ones I would worry about. Lol
Idk i’m not in Canada. I self banned guns🤷🏻‍♂️

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Burris fastfire iii has been good to me but I’m running it on a turkey gun. I also have a bushnell trs25 that’s pretty slick.