Good and bad roto tillers

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used a Mang roto tiller, was happy with it. When the rental service place sold it, I bought it, used it for a while before junking it. The Troy Built units are very popular, generally good.

Worst unit I had was a Frazer roto tiller, spring loaded tines, 2 cycle engine. Nothing but trouble, high maintenance. I was once hiking on the Long Trail, wandered into a logging camp where I helped out for a couple days. These guys were from western NY I think, they had a few screws loose as they were tasked by the usfs with girdling trees that were deemed undesirable. They put a saw in my hand when I was totally unqualified. Dangerous. Ended up not paying me anything either. I mention that in passing because the older of the two guys said that if I brought my Frazer roto tiller to their factory they would give me a thousand bucks. Gullible, I pretty much believed him. This is a high end example of a Frazer.

post-450-0-35686400-1515287447.jpg

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't be hateing on Fraziers. I am getting ready to restore mine.

OC455

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The older Troy-bilt roto tillers were pretty much bullet proof. My Dad had one and it lasted forever.

Now he has a rear PTO mount tiller for his John Deere 1025R....that thing is awesome.

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Mang was the toughest unit I've used when in good shape. BCS tillers also have a lot going for them. If you can afford Frazers as a hobby tiller, fine. Mine was not a winner.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a little front tine MTD with 3hp Briggs I got from a pawn shop, as well as an Echo 2 stroke. For what little tilling I do they work great. I also have my grandfather's Tillsmith from the 60's or 70's. It is complete but hasn't run for about 30 years. Still has the antifreeze jug cap that he used to replace the missing fuel cap!

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I sell every old cheap tiller at the flea market but my favorite is the chain drive Maxim front tine. It is a update of the old Merry tiller.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't use a tiller much but i have a 30+ year old front tine JD tiller that is torture to use breaking ground. The thing will out live me.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tractor mount, rear tine walk behind or front tine?
The front tine tillers seem to wear rings after a few years from all the bouncing.
I have worked on a few older Troy-bilt rear tine tillers, they usually just need transmission seals or carburetor rebuilding.
I can't speak of the newer ones, but like anything else, they probably aren't built to last 40 or 50 years.

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
your dirt makes a great difference. will you have it broke up with a tractor or endure the beating of breaking new ground with a tiller. a soft soil is not so bad a hard soil with lots of rocks will make a tiller buck hard. your age and condition make a difference. the depth bar on rear tines allow you to cut a inch at a pass if the soil is hard. if you a re tough enough a front tine is much faster than a troy bilt rear tine. I have soft sandy soil so I get the neighbor to disk it up good and use a front tine. front tines are better for getting close to growing plants. check the gas tank close if it is metal many of the metal tanks are rust now and replacements are hard to get.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whenever i get the urge to punish myself for something i get out the big heavy front tine JD tiller and bust up the mole hills that have turned to concrete. Between the carpal tunnel and arthritis i don't get any sleep that night. Wife say i am an idiot. She is probably right. What's that song? I'm not as good as I once was but i am good once as i ever was.

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I repower a lot of old frames with the harbor freight engine. if it bounces to hard you may have to unplug low oil sensor. the little 3 horse i rob from horizontal engine edgers beats you up less and still tills fine. if you get the briggs with the vacu jet carburetor it has no parts for alcohol fuel to eat. the thin gas tank on edger motors resists rust much better than deep tank.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 5 horse front tire Wards I got new in 1980 but it sure is a killer on the body. I now use a 5 horse MTD rear tine with forward or reversing tines and adjustable handle for bending in tight places. It isn't commercial by any stretch, but works well enough for me. I do wish the tires were taller but the fuel tank is in the way on the right side. An OHV engine would likely be an easy fix for that.

If you want a bad azz tiller check out a Howard Rotovator.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My other grandfather's Honda powered Cub Cadet rear tine now resides at our place. It has been used very little, 'spose I'll be using it this fall.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bolens made a really cool old tiller similar to the Rotovators. Most of thes monster walk behinds have been replaced by small riding tractors with tillers. It seems a shame but very understandable.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a BCS with a rotary plow for breaking ground and a tiller. I wish I would have went with a Grillo. I just missed a good deal locally on a diesel powered unit with several attachments.