Piston/Cylinder Brands: The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Ethobling

Jack of Many Trades
Local time
5:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good afternoon, folks. I need some help.

I have a friend who will be shipping me a 500i that one of his guys ran straight gas through. Apparently, it seized pretty close to TDC. I have never broken a saw down, but I have some idea of what's in there (I've watched some modding vids, etc).

My question: what brand(s) should I go with? I like the idea of OEM, but that is close to $400 for a P&C. I was looking at a Proline set for about $140 shipped. I've heard mixed things about Hyway, so I'm inclined to stay away.

So what brands are good, bad, and ugly? What P&C do y'all think I should go with?

Thanks.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the cylinder oem is the only option imo.
For the piston I have to say oem piston and rings or a meteor piston with caber rings. There’s also a wiseco piston available that is a beautiful if you’re feeling sporty.
(I’m not sure if there’s a meteor piston available for a 500i yet)

I’ve yet to be impressed with any other aftermarket cylinders and pistons.

Ethobling

Jack of Many Trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the cylinder oem is the only option imo.
For the piston I have to say oem piston and rings or a meteor piston with caber rings. There’s also a wiseco piston available that is a beautiful if you’re feeling sporty.
(I’m not sure if there’s a meteor piston available for a 500i yet)

I’ve yet to be impressed with any other aftermarket cylinders and pistons.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any experience with the Proline Pistons/Cylinders? Unfortunately, Meteor doesn't make 500i pistons/cylinders, yet, and idk if I wanna drop the $400+ on OEM parts with a saw that already has a lot of hours. Also, in case I screw something up, idk if I want to be down $400...

Regarding the actual repair: should it just be a cylinder/piston drop in and it should run? Or how likely is it something else was damaged when the engine seized?

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t have any experience with proline myself but I have tried several other aftermarket cylinders and pistons and each one left me disappointed.

As for the actual failure you’ll want to check everything over very close. Lots of things could have caused the seize and there may be further damage that hasn’t been found yet. You might get lucky and the failure was just from some gorilla forcing/abusing the saw with a dull chain, or a plugged up fuel filter or it could be from something like a bearing failure. Like I said the entire saw should be closely checked over or else the replacement cylinder and piston will just seize again

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since the saw was straight gassed could have done other damage to crank or crank bearings. I would tear the saw down and evaluate before ordering anything. Could get lucky and the cylinder will clean up and just need a piston and rings could be a total basket case and need bottom and top end. Good luck take pictures and lots of people on here that can help along the way

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
4:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any experience with the Proline Pistons/Cylinders? Unfortunately, Meteor doesn't make 500i pistons/cylinders, yet, and idk if I wanna drop the $400+ on OEM parts with a saw that already has a lot of hours. Also, in case I screw something up, idk if I want to be down $400...

Regarding the actual repair: should it just be a cylinder/piston drop in and it should run? Or how likely is it something else was damaged when the engine seized?
If they straight gassed it I’d put a new oem top on and new case bearings and let it buck. Hours may not be as high as you think on it only need to get it hooked up to the mdg1 and you can find out hours and all types of information. And when you do bearings put seals in and vacuum check but they’re 1500$ new plus tax so if you get one for free and only need to put 2-400$ in it your doing well.

Ethobling

Jack of Many Trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where's the best place to buy a new P and C? Sawagain looks a tad expensive...

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where's the best place to buy a new P and C? Sawagain looks a tad expensive...

Do you have a decent Stihl dealership nearby? That would be the best place to start.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...I have a friend who will be shipping me a 500i that one of his guys ran straight gas through. Apparently, it seized pretty close to TDC...
Like others have said, there may be more issues than just the P&C. For instance, if bits of aluminum from the piston ended up in the bottom end, that means a complete teardown with new bearings & seals. Been there. Hopefully the connecting rod/crank bearing is ok. OEM or no, I wouldn't take responsibility for this repair. The only option that makes sense to me is if your friend takes care of this in-house.