Going to have to climb soon need some advice

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny related story, this spring the power company came thru and cleared the easements. I had a dead tree they were nice enough to take, well they dropped it and left it for me. He had a new truck with an awesome onboard articulating lift (but it was really cool, didn’t take up much space the way it folded). So I went out and watched, he had a few traditional saws but used a hydraulic pole saw from the bucket with a small bar and took everything in little sections 2’ maybe 3’ all the way down. The last 10’ he let his partner do with chainsaw from the ground.
Well we got to talking and I said once it’s not going to hit a line why don’t you drop the whole thing from the ground. He said bucking on the ground was a pain, his pole saw was light and easy to use with little strain on the body and little pieces made sure if he made a mistake he wasn’t going to hurt himself or equipment. His partner was quick to throw everything in a pile and they were gone.
Interesting to see how different professions go about the same task in very different ways. Anyway I learned some stuff watching that day and talking to that gentleman.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
one thing that noone has mentioned is it can be too dead to climb safely. i would get a five pound axe and swing it like a baseball bat with the blund or hammer side and see how much of a thud it makes if is sounds really soft and mushy i would hire a professional so you dont have things go really wrong really fast. live trees are dangerous enough to climb dead trees are a different animal

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I decided to put her down yesterday. Had to put it right up against the property line to avoid the drain field. She was on a slight back lean, took my time with my 462 then wedged her in the right direction.
Very big weight off my shoulders when she went down. Thanks for all the advice fellas. Glad That’s done, now the kids can play out front!

next up is de-thatch, aerate, split seed the first week of October. Try and grow some tall fescue out front. The dry hot temp caused the weeds to kill all my grass this year.
7C1A2F2A-F86C-4D27-9442-EBDC75432654.jpeg DD387F7B-C170-45BC-8532-D9C85543357B.jpeg

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
must not have been to rotton or punky as it doesnt look like it exploded when it hit the ground. thats good

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
one thing that noone has mentioned is it can be too dead to climb safely. i would get a five pound axe and swing it like a baseball bat with the blund or hammer side and see how much of a thud it makes if is sounds really soft and mushy i would hire a professional so you dont have things go really wrong really fast. live trees are dangerous enough to climb dead trees are a different animal
Next time you hit dead trees with anything don't be surprised when you get hit with a top or killed.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i was a professional tree climber for 12 years and wouldnt even consider climbing a dead tree without hitting it first to see how solid it was. in all of my time i only had to move once from a limb falling out after hitting it with my axe. i have had to move several times while felling trees.

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next time you hit dead trees with anything don't be surprised when you get hit with a top or killed.

That type of stuff we never say in the tree industry, it’s just like pilots talking about crashing or sailors talking about sinking. Keep that stuff to yourself and in your own head. Thumbs up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i was a professional tree climber for 12 years and wouldnt even consider climbing a dead tree without hitting it first to see how solid it was. in all of my time i only had to move once from a limb falling out after hitting it with my axe. i have had to move several times while felling trees.

I agree 100% I would much rather find out on the ground than aloft in said tree. Pg&e requires a pull test performed ascending any tree and a lot of times I have had my rope walk down the tree snapping the dead branches as it comes down. Doesn’t pass a pull test doesn’t get climbed. They also make you smack any tree with your axe too test for rot. So one someone says hire a professional they will come out and say nope get a crane or nope get a bucket. This day and age we don’t climb dead trees too many of our brothers have died prior it’s just not worth it.

Rambling again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Vertical plunge cut in the center of the tree at the base to check for rot.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yep if i cant hit a dead tree to hear how much bounce there is in. i wouldnt even consider getting in it