Going to have to climb soon need some advice

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok full disclosure, I cannot pay anyone, I have a big dead tree in our new to us home that has to come down. One side septic field, other is power lines. So I have to take it in pieces = climbing. Heights don’t bother me, I’m competent with a saw, I’m a Firefighter with a Technical Rescue background so I understand rope, pulleys, etc. that said I’m not an idiot and I know nothing about climbing/felling a tree from an elevated position.
So what’s a good/safe kit that’s not commercial but for a guy that needs to climb a tree and be safe. I don’t need a $1000 kit for a one or two times in a lifetime kit. She’s got 3 main limbs at the top, I figure drop those then the main tree in 5’-6’ sections maybe less on the way down.image.jpg

Junkyard

Can’t have too many saws
Local time
6:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Having just bought some gear I agree with Woodpecker, if you can get a lift in there that’s your best bet. If not a good set of gaffs, belt and a lanyard would get you most of what you need. Probably could borrow some of it.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Northern VA is probably nice this time of year Brad. Some killer breweries down there too.

If I had time I'd offer to go down and knock it out quick. Ive got good friends in wytheville I wouldn't mind visiting. I'm working weekends now as it is though.

I get this question a few times a year. It's more than just buying the equipment. It takes lots of practice to get used to making cuts from spurs. A bucket is really the best option here.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I agree 100% and admit I’m not at all knowledgeable, just driven not to pay someone else a fortune to do anything... now that doesn’t mean I should attempt it.

Maybe I'm just not understanding the site but the tree doesn't look all that large. It's always hard to judge from pics but that doesn't look like much more than 4 hundo to climb and put it on the ground. Have you gotten any estimates?

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Reg Coates has some awesome advice:

Read it, know it, follow it:
https://www.wesspur.com/books/tree-climbers-companion.html

Tie into a second GOOD tree. Guy ignored the warning in TCC to never exit DRT over a limb = death = I know a guy that did that = in a wheelchair now

Get a Petzl Stop and use a full body harness and tie it to the chest so you do not end upside down in just your belt if you get knocked out of the tree. 15# break away chainsaw laynard.

Get tree gaffs. not pole spikes.

My personal advice to add: Little tops = little problems

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had time I'd offer to go down and knock it out quick. Ive got good friends in wytheville I wouldn't mind visiting. I'm working weekends now as it is though.

I get this question a few times a year. It's more than just buying the equipment. It takes lots of practice to get used to making cuts from spurs. A bucket is really the best option here.
+1. I'm not a pro but do a fair amount from time to time. Climbing is a workout. And it's tougher when you are second guessing every move.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
+1. I'm not a pro but do a fair amount from time to time. Climbing is a workout. And it's tougher when you are second guessing every move.
Nope not tough just distracting and dangerous IMO.
Tired and tree removals don't mix.

Edit: @RyeThomas

If your anywhere in NE VA get me another day somewhere else nearby and your little top-outs could be worth the trip if you have not done it yet. I'm just east of Philly. I still have some extra gear.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I get the feeling your not very trusting of the local hacks and landscapers :)

Four hours one way for me. Definitely an over night or weekend trip. Guess I can search for some tools in your area.
Just let me know if anyone else is interested in a large weed killer near by. When it cools off a bit we can do that thing in the fall.

It looks like climb, chop and drop?

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7.5 hours one way for me or I’d be in to help. If your not comfy climbing you can rent a tow behind bucket lift for about $300 a day.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd run a lift, done it before a few times, but that's an all day drive. Drop and leave jobs are the cheapest, and should be quite affordable over renting or buying equipment.

Are you sure there is no clear enough shot in any direction to just fell it (maybe if a pro does it)?

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would call and get a couple of prices on having it put on the ground you clean up the mess. Most tree guys love jobs like that anyway. I would go the route of a lift if you are dead set on doing it your self. One thing to keep in mind when you cut on the ground you can run if stuff goes awry. In the tree not so much.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well with the wife not working (C19) I’m in a holding pattern and I’m not spending, the only exception would be if one of the fine gentleman here happened to be in the area, I’d splurge for that.
No direction I can drop it, my lot is narrow and either side it would hit my neighbors property, front would hit power lines, back would hit my septic field. I also have no clue how deep our water lines are coming from the street if I sent it toward either neighbors yard, with my luck... well let’s just not talk about it.

If I see a tree guy in the neighborhood I’ll stop and ask. I missed out a few weeks ago and a guy was doing work with a crazy tow behind lift, I had the kids and we had to be somewhere. I’ve decided I’m not climbing.

heck I might buy one of those rope saws and make it PT for the family, every couple days spend an hour or so working on it. If I could get those main 3 limbs branching at the top...

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would call and get a couple of prices on having it put on the ground you clean up the mess. Most tree guys love jobs like that anyway. I would go the route of a lift if you are dead set on doing it your self. One thing to keep in mind when you cut on the ground you can run if stuff goes awry. In the tree not so much.
Yup. just had a Tree guy in my area last week die from his bucket truck getting knocked over. he was up 40ft

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can't run in a lift/bucket either. I was in a bucket behind the lean of the tree I was working on, it was a slight lean, so I didn't really notice it. I was in ground cutting mode when I cut a heavy chunk (50-200lbs) and it started to pinch the bar, and as is my habit on the ground cutting firewood, I immediately pull the saw out to avoid a solid pinch. The chunk fell back on me, but I reacted quickly shoving it away as it came down. It still hit the bucket hard.