High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Firewood thread!!! Let's see what you got!!!!

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's all subjective I think. For people who are used to beautiful hardwoods and 30 ton log splitters, elm may be a pain, but I split around 10 cord by hand, every year and have done so for many years. It's a mostly locust and elm, with some different species scattered in there and I do just fine. Sure, there's some pieces I chainsaw into chunks, because they don't split, but that happens with every species I've ever split. Knots and Y's just don't split good.

I guess my point is, what's hard and a PITA for some, is not so for others. We all have different thresholds as far as what we will tolerate and what we won't. Where I am, we aren't surrounded by millions of acres of hardwoods, so I take what I can get. Also, a lot of the wood I get is from helping out older folks who are on fixed incomes and can't afford tree companies, so I help them out.

Heck, last year I heated my house all winter on cottonwood and I was never cold. Not even the 10 days of single digit highs and negative overnight temps, cottonwood kept the place nice and toasty. I used it because an old lady wanted it cut down and it's what I had ready to burn and most wouldn't even start their vehicle to pick up cottonwood, let alone process it.

Here's some pieces I split off of the stuff with bark. It split better than I was expecting, but it was the trunk with no knots.

View attachment 316804 View attachment 316805
Same way around here for hackberry, pecan, and red oak.
I see regular massive burn piles FULL of it!:eek:
I've found a way to season red oak...thats tolerable for the wife.
I nab up all the pecan I can...hackberry if its convenient.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same way around here for hackberry, pecan, and red oak.
I see regular massive burn piles FULL of it!:eek:
I've found a way to season red oak...thats tolerable for the wife.
I nab up all the pecan I can...hackberry if its convenient.

I've got a few hackberry trees over the years and actually have a smaller one ready to be split as I type this.

It's all about perspective. As long as the iron heats up, I'm good with it.

I wish I could be picky, but it's just not in the cards. Especially, if I want to burn the amount of wood I go through.

What's the deal with red oak?

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got this from a guy I know today on his pile, burning green oak in his stove, did not plan ahead this year and his big house is 100% heated by wood.
NN2Phoi.jpg

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a few hackberry trees over the years and actually have a smaller one ready to be split as I type this.

I wish I could be picky, but it's just not in the cards. Especially, if I want to burn the amount of wood I go through.

Red oak is stringy and tends not to split evenly and you end up with a string connecting both halves that you have to pull apart by hand. I leave it on the splitter and just pull the two halves apart using the wedge for leverage. If you are splitting vertical that is more of a problem. Myself, as long as I am not using my small 5 ton electric, but, my 37 ton Chinesium splitter, I am good to go no matter what I throw on it. I do halve the bigger 24+ inch rounds when I do not feel like lifting them, but, as for species, it is all good. Including wood from the free pallet tree.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I hear ya.
Wifey has allergies to red oak, yet if I keep it in my garage (almost kiln like) during peak heat times here (April to Sept) it looses the irratant and is 100% seasoned around (13-16%) moisture.
Alabama woods are overrun with red oak, some folks cook with it!

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red oak is stringy and tends not to split evenly and you end up with a string connecting both halves that you have to pull apart by hand. I leave it on the splitter and just pull the two halves apart using the wedge for leverage. If you are splitting vertical that is more of a problem. Myself, as long as I am not using my small 5 ton electric, but, my 37 ton Chinesium splitter, I am good to go no matter what I throw on it. I do halve the bigger 24+ inch rounds when I do not feel like lifting them, but, as for species, it is all good. Including wood from the free pallet tree.
Red oak is about all I heat with. Comes off my property, agree with above, but not a big deal. Just bring a 2 foot handled sharp axe, problem solved. Split by hand most of my life, gave that up, splitting is easy with a heavy maul.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear ya.
Wifey has allergies to red oak, yet if I keep it in my garage (almost kiln like) during peak heat times here (April to Sept) it looses the irratant and is 100% seasoned around (13-16%) moisture.
Alabama woods are overrun with red oak, some folks cook with it!

Ok, I see. Not being picky, I sometimes miss "issues" with certain species, but a wife being allergic, is a huge issue.

Keeping on topic, here's another pile I'm splitting to make room for the stuff on my driveway. A hackberry, locust and some elm and a few smaller rounds of pine. This is my surplus, to my surplus. I sell from these piles, to help offset fuel, bar oil and chain cost.

IMG_20211121_134729_103.jpg

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Killer haul J!
Many pics to follow. Bike shop boss had me back to saw down dead standing oaks. I dropped many! His Bobcat wouldn't start, so I only took these 3.
55019D15-2636-4E59-B241-C2E1E346375D.jpeg
43B646A0-DBF8-498E-A37C-F6B1977F61B3.jpeg

They were babies compared to stuff behind. The rear most log was about 22-24” dbh. Bucked everything to 48” for his bucket.
83BDE786-8EBD-4645-BAE1-6975F1CADC47.jpeg

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent dense wood, but very sappy, last I checked red oak runs around 5100#/cord for green wood and 3700# for "air dry". How long do you give it to dry, 1 year or two?
I'm on the 3 year plan, but that locust I just scored will season in 2 so this wood might sit 4. Not going thorough much wood so far this year. We'll see, but it will have more than enough time to get below 20%.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do about 2 years drying under my lean-to before burning.
I can't get red oak to 20% in that time, maybe if I split it real small but that negates the purpose of nice long burn times associated with it. Most others 2 would get it, but I have the hoarding tendencies, so I stay wayyy ahead. Plus I don't have to sweep the chimney every year.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent dense wood, but very sappy, last I checked red oak runs around 5100#/cord for green wood and 3700# for "air dry". How long do you give it to dry, 1 year or two?
In Atlanta GA if I cut and stack by Mar/April I am burning it six months later in October. Though I cut short, 12-14" and split small maybe 4"-6" max diameter. That is the reason why I am building a box wedge splitter.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm usually at about 10% or less at 2 years Jason. I guess I get good air flow. Lol. I cut all my wood to 16". I split just to make drying faster. I don't really go that small. But I do stack my stove to roof, so it's good for me to have a little bit of everything.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm on the 3 year plan, but that locust I just scored will season in 2 so this wood might sit 4. Not going thorough much wood so far this year. We'll see, but it will have more than enough time to get below 20%.
I do about 2 years drying under my lean-to before burning.
I wish I could get that far ahead with my personal firewood but something tells me you guys aren't burning 12-16 cord a winter. I added a secondary baffle to my wood boiler, it'll be interesting to see what I burn this year.