High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Firewood Sales Predictions

weesa20

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Curious what folks who sell firewood think sales will be like this year? Up because folks are working at home and want to sit next to the fire? Lower because people have more time to make their own? Lower because people are not working? Lower because every Joe with a truck and a pull-on wild thing will be selling green wood for cheap?

dunno if it is predictable or not. Sold a cord this week and have another 1 1/2 cord going out this weekend.

w

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
my bet is lower because gas and oil prices are so freekin low its almost hard to reason with buying wood...
i did sell quite a bit during "Covid" back yarding until it got so blasted hot that nobody wanted to sit next to a fire..

hopefully its cold as a witches ti tees. and oil goes UP fast !!!

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
stopped for fuel this morning- could not believe that the price of e85 was lower than earlier in the week -this being a holiday weekend and traditionally prices get jacked up. $1.89 vs $2.09 and this at a station right off freeway which is generally more expensive.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
9:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over here prices are down due to lower gas and oil prices plus so much ash dieback around
Tree service companies have got plenty in there yards
local councils and public services are going a bit gung ho on public safety and taking alot out

N8TE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Curious what folks who sell firewood think sales will be like this year? Up because folks are working at home and want to sit next to the fire? Lower because people have more time to make their own? Lower because people are not working? Lower because every Joe with a truck and a pull-on wild thing will be selling green wood for cheap?

dunno if it is predictable or not. Sold a cord this week and have another 1 1/2 cord going out this weekend.

w
Around here I believe it will be about the same as previous years.

Many of the rural folks around here heat with propane. I just bought 800 gallons on contract for the Winter months at 1.08 per gallon and topped everything off at summer fill price of 1.00

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As usual, customers are waiting until the last minute to call for a delivery. Hot and humid weather also choked it off. Now add in the pandemic.

I've been launching some e-mail reminders to get things going. Finally a cool down in the weather has arrived. There is nothing like a winter breeze to wake up the slumbering market.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, forum, since I wrote Post #7, I have now received five truckloads of orders for next week and three more from the same folks for early December. My work is hereby cut out for me and now I need to find more dry hardwood for bucking and splitting.

I thought I had enough dry wood on board but I could easily stock out before December. Several of these orders are from all new customers. A freak cold wave produced this demand? Gasp!

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, forum, since I wrote Post #7, I have now received five truckloads of orders for next week and three more from the same folks for early December.
I don’t sell much, 12 cord last year. But folks have to be out of wood, snow flying or both before they call. My son-in-laws father comes & gets his own, it has to be 50* or less before he wants get it.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around here there is all the dead standing ash you want for free. Buddy sells wood and and he said he is doing about average sales. He said he is tired of folks calling wanting him to take down trees for free and clean up the mess if they give him the wood. He tells them to call a tree service to do that. Then most likely the tree service will call him to get the big stuff for free.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He said he is tired of folks calling wanting him to take down trees for free and clean up the mess if they give him the wood. He tells them to call a tree service to do that. Then most likely the tree service will call him to get the big stuff for free.
I have an uncle that keeps telling about all the great firewood in fence lines that I can have if I come down & clean out the fence lines....o_O Uhm, no I don’t believe I will doing that for free. If it was just the occasional Ash, Cherry & Osage I would entertain the thought as long as I could use his tractor & loader to clean up but there are too many plum thickets, Multiflora rose bushes & other PIA shrubby crap.

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an uncle that keeps telling about all the great firewood in fence lines that I can have if I come down & clean out the fence lines....o_O Uhm, no I don’t believe I will doing that for free. If it was just the occasional Ash, Cherry & Osage I would entertain the thought as long as I could use his tractor & loader to clean up but there are too many plum thickets, Multiflora rose bushes & other PIA shrubby crap.
The last tree I did I made it very clear the brush and tops was their responsibility. WP_20160925_10_53_25_Pro.jpg WP_20160924_12_18_26_Pro.jpg WP_20160924_12_18_26_Pro.jpg WP_20160902_12_54_44_Pro.jpg

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ever notice that every round that a tree removal company cuts is usually cut too long or to0 short or at some odd-ball angle, sometimes at both ends? When you buck cut the trunk, it's done right for firewood processing and when they buck cut the trunk, you are lucky to get any rounds or limbs cut correctly.

That's because you know what you need for firewood processing and they really don't care, even though you save them money by lowering their recycling fee.
:BangHead:

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ever notice that every round that a tree removal company cuts is usually cut too long or to0 short or at some odd-ball angle, sometimes at both ends? When you buck cut the trunk, it's done right for firewood processing and when they buck cut the trunk, you are lucky to get any rounds or limbs cut correctly.

That's because you know what you need for firewood processing and they really don't care, even though you save them money by lowering their recycling fee.
:BangHead:

I get wood from a tree service like that. Fortunately most pieces are 6’ ish long and I have a place to go with my real short splits. I have a customer with a little insert and the 12”-16” work best for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The potbelly stove owners also love short lengths. That's what the old caboose stoves swallowed. Anything over 14" was too long for them. I used to collect a pile of short lengths just for them alone. Inside the truck I easily packed it with five rows rather than my normal four. One time I counted 500 logs in one load. Those customers would sometimes reward me with an extra double sawbuck.